When my husband was preparing for surgery a good friend brought a prayer shawl to the hospital. With the shawl came a note that with each stitch she had prayed for my husband and his recovery. We have experienced these shawls before but have never been on the receiving end of this special ministry. There is something about receiving this handmade token of love and prayer that does have power. Since his surgery we placed the shawl on the back of our couch and with the coming colder weather I have often grabbed it and placed it around my shoulders for warmth. Each time I was reminded of the prayers that were given on our behalf.

In our church each Sunday we have a time of "Prayers of the People". This is a time for us to share our joys and concerns. It provides an opportunity for us to pray as a group for each other and those we love. I often write the names down but I have to admit that in the busyness of the week the notes can get laid aside for more seemly pressing things.
Lately I have been thinking about prayer. I have been moved to pray for many of my blog friends who have asked their readers for prayer. I have written down these names and this time the lists have made it in my car and to my desk. When I see their names on my blog roll I am reminded again of their need.
I like to think that when I pray I am "standing in the gap" for others. When they are in need I can "intercede" on their behalf and ask for their God to meet them in their need. After being on the receiving end of so many well wishes on my own blog during my husband's surgery, I realized the power that we all have to support each other even through this blog community.
For today, I have several blog friends who need prayer and have asked for it on their blogs:
JenX67: Jen asks for prayers for her brother Billy in California who has a tumor on his kidney.
Poetikat: Kat is from Canada and lost her father this week. The funeral is Wednesday.
Fordy Days and Nights: Susan has asked for prayers for her grandmother who is ill in Florida.
I have been led to respond to these requests and although there is risk in blogging about religion and politics I have to say that this act of posting boldly this need of mine to "stand in the gap" for these wonderful friends feels right today.
Abundance is...praying on behalf of others.
For another opportunity to experience prayer through blogging visit Caroline at "Zen Prayers".

For other Wordful Wednesday Participants see Angie @ Seven Clown Circus
BEAUTIFUL!!
ReplyDeleteprayers going up for those who need them!!
My Mom makes prayer quilts with her church group. She says it's one of the most powerful experiences. She talks about how the whole room of women pray with each stitch and put all their love and blessings into the quilt. You are so blessed to receive one...it's beautiful!
ReplyDelete. . . beautifully written . . .
ReplyDeleteWhat a blessing the quilt must have been for you and your husband!! What a comfort to know that someone is praying so strongly for you. I have seen amazing things happen through prayer lately....
ReplyDeleteStanding in the Gap....what a beautiful thought. It is comforting to know that when we feel at our lowest, at our furthest that maybe someone is helping us reach Him (we forget sometimes that He can always reach us). The thought of someone "Standing in the Gap" for me, the thought that someone has stood in the gap for me when I have needed it...words can't describe the feeling that gives me.
This is a beautiful post. And an amazing gift to your husband and to any recipient of that many prayers!
ReplyDeleteGreat post about prayer! what a neat gift
ReplyDeleteThis is touching post ... the shawl is beautiful Im sure it brings you comfort and peace when ever youre wrapped up in it.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful shawl, such a thoughtful friend.
ReplyDeleteI send my positive thoughts to those in need and applaud you for 'standing in the gap'.
Abundance is......positive thinking with an open heart.
Bless you Coach
Peggy
The shawl is beautiful and is such a thoughtful and meaningful gift. I love how you termed it... standing in the gap. What a nice visual that gives me. I, too, believe strongly in prayer and prayed through my father-in-law's emergency surgery to repair a ruptured abdominal aneurysm. I felt that my prayer had power and that God had a helping hand in every move the surgeon made that night.
ReplyDeleteAs you pray and post concerns for others, you are sharing a wonderful gift!
Roban
P.S. And although nothing traumatic is going on in my life, I can use prayers daily! I am always needing a helping hand, whether it's in my work with students or here at home trying to nurture my daughter or be a helpful partner to my husband!
Blessed Prayer! Good for the person praying also!
ReplyDeletethis is just beautiful. i have never heard of the prayer shawl. i have been thinking about prayer a lot over the past couple of weeks, too. i have a hard time knowing what to look or listen for to know my prayers are being answered. i was amazed at how many of my blogger buds had really great words of wisdom for me... prayers being answered, perhaps!
ReplyDeleteTruly beautiful......both your willingness to "stand in the gap" for others through prayer and for the POWER of prayer. I've never heard of a prayer shawl, but I LOVE the idea and what it's done for you and your husband and countless others!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful idea! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteAwesome awesome post. I love that you wrote what you stand for. We are really standing in the gap when we pray for others, too - what a wonderful blessing!
ReplyDeleteThere shouldn't be any risk since this is your blog and those who read you probably come here because they respect you and what you stand for. I am happy to pray for others and will be praying right along with you!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful shawl and a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing that.
ReplyDeleteWow. Tears in my eyes threatening to ruin my mascara, WHICH I rarely wear these days. I understand the risk we take in posting such things - politics and religion can wind us up with lost connections. I need your prayers, my brother needs your prayers. Thank you for bringing this need to the minds of all your followers. I am grateful. I have thought about you and your husband so many times - wondered how you continued blogging when the monster cancer came to visit. You are an inspiration. Really, you are. You also have my prayers. I think I didn't expect to find community when I began blogging. I'm so glad I have.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful post! I once crocheted a prayer blanket for a friend of mine who was having a baby. I love the idea of being covered in prayers. I can't think of anything more comforting!
ReplyDeleteThank you for standing in the gap for others. I will add these bloggers to my prayer list.
Prayers are such a beautiful connection between human beings and God. Its amazing how much a simple prayer can lift another's spirits. I'm always impressed at how much human beings can affect each other's lives through something so simple as a prayer. God bless all those who need our prayers. And God bless you!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing about this prayer quilt, and what it has meant to you and your husband. I struggle with the idea of spirituality, and how much I "put out there" - so seeing you do it here is freeing for me - know that what you do is helping others (me) in doing what I feel is right.
ReplyDeleteAnd, I will add these people to my prayers.
Continue to let the prayer shawl speak to you through the prayers it has been filled with...
wonderful post. It's always nice to see when the blogging community is really coming together for the good of one another. :)
ReplyDeleteThat shawl is awesome and beautiful. how wonderful your family was on the receiving end and learned more about it. We need to be in prayer for those who need it and sometimes it is so hard to remember to do it. I used to go through the alphabet as I was falling asleep and pray for people whose name started with a certain letter ... think I may start that again. Great reminder.
ReplyDeleteSorry I haven't been around. I'm bouncing from here to there and am missing a lot of posts from bloggers lately. I seem to have time to read, but not always time to comment and then I think I've commented and realize later I never did...I just read it and thought of a comment.
I have the slowest dang computer at my house and sometimes I'll even comment and nothing will show! Argh!
Thank you so much for standing in the gap!
ReplyDeleteYou have truly touched me and it is such a comfort to know that so many people are praying for my grandmother.
My grandmother is one of the most faithful prayer warriors I have ever known. I know she appreciates each and every prayer offered on her behalf.
I'm so thrilled to see that you have chosen to do this--beautiful post and even more beautiful heart for being willing to stand in the gap for others--
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
amen. a great reminder that it is our priviledge, calling, and joy to lift up brothers and sisters before the throne of God in prayer.
ReplyDeleteyour shawl--what an incredible labor of love!
Your generosity just continues to amaze me!
ReplyDelete