Thursday, January 15, 2009

Stitches for Beautiful Life


Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek


For about 8 years I quilted. I took some classes from a woman in my church who was a master quilter. I pieced this quilt by machine and I am quilting it by hand. I say "I am quilting" because it is not a complete project.

When my oldest was 16, I presented her with a handmade quilt. It was made of beautiful batiks much like this one.


A year later I started this quilt. I had intended to complete this quilt for my youngest daughter's 16th birthday. I had a year to get it done.....or so I thought.


It only took a few months to cut it out and piece it together. I loved the colors and creating the design. It was like painting a picture with fabric.


I was well into the project when the challenges of raising a teenager invaded. I found it impossible to put my heart into this project when we were having to discipline, negotiate, argue, figure out boundaries, and penalize our beautiful daughter. The project was put away for awhile. That was five year ago. A lifetime ago really. I would take out the quilt, do a few squares in high hopes of presenting the quilt at a birthday or Christmas. Then again have to put it away. She knew about the quilt and frequently asked about it.


In March, my daughter will be 21 years old. She is living in her own apartment, has a full time job with benefits, pays her own bills, and takes care of her very own dog. Life now as the parent of a young adult is so different. It is a joy to see how she has blossomed. I have recently revived the project. I have exactly 15 blocks left. I can easily finish this by her birthday and I will enjoy every stitch because I can celebrate the wonderful young woman she has become.


For you who are in the midst of parenting young teens, I would say hang in there, keep the boundaries sound, don't be afraid to ask for help, pray often, laugh together whenever you can, and know that your efforts will be rewarded. You will see that eventually, they will become young adults who will resemble something of you, if not in looks in some trait that you instilled in them. You may not get alot of "warm fuzzies" during this time, but you will get a reward later in some way. They will realize that your actions only showed how much you loved them. If you are not having a challenge, you are truly blessed!


Consider finding a project that you can make for them. It might be a quilt, a garment, a scrapbook, a photo journal of their life, something that will be an ongoing project that can be a symbol for you and for them. Start it now, but only work on it when you are able to put a smile on your face when you think of them. Eventually, it will be completed and it will be an amazing gift for them.


When it is done, it will also be your reward that you survived parenting a teen and you will feel pride at your accomplishment.


Abundance is....making it through the teen years with as few scars as possible and creating a symbol for that beautiful life.

31 comments:

  1. thanks for the thoughful and encouraging post! we're still struggling with our son who left home a few months ago. it's very hard, and there is no contact. i want to make things right, and come out hte other side, but it's hard to see that right now. i've been encouraged, and plan on trying agian with him. thanks! (beautiful quilt, BTW!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A quilt stitched with love, bounded by sacrifice and pride. :)

    I've saved a bunch of my DD's high school t-shirts and uniforms to have made into a quilt for her (by someone else). She's 19 and at home attending college, so I need to get on that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt! I also loved your thoughts. The idea of making something to celebrate those teen years is really great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful quilt. That is something I've always wanted to try...but the list of things I want to try is very long...who knows.

    I always love what you have to say. Thanks as always for sharing so honestly with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow -- thanks for the advice and the perspective --we are on the verge of teenagerdom, and I've already had enough.
    The colors on the quilt are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Timely advice. Today I got an email about my darling daughter getting detention for kicking someone, but the real topper was she refused to acknowledge the teacher who was calling her over to sign the detention slip. This is the first and I hope last of such incidents. Thank you for reminding me I am not the only one with a willful tween.

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice post
    I am just starting with my 14 year old. I will hang in there
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one gorgeous reward!
    Your daughter will be so happy to receive this quilt filled with years of memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beautiful quilts Coach, how fortunate your daughters are to receive such a wonderful gift.

    My mother made one for me when I was 23 and had just moved into my first home. I still have it and bring it out every winter to keep me warm while I read or watch TV.

    Hugs
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very beautiful.

    I started crocheting a blanket for my daughter a few years ago. I would think how nice it would be for her to have it on her bed when she was in college. Life interrupted, one thing after another and the blanket got tucked away to be finished 'later'. Now, she's almost 17 and a junior. I find myself avoiding the blanket, trying to avoid the fact that all too soon she'll be gone. Finishing it, sending her off, things I can't bear to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a lovely quilt...and a lovely story! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous quilt!
    Great post too--very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful quilt and story to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful and moving post! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful quilt and touching story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for this moving and inspirational post. This is a beautiful tribute to her coming of age. Will you write a little note about all that she went through as the quilt was made? Maybe even print out your post. It will show her all that she has come through both as an individual and through her relationship with you all. Best gift of all you gave her was the stregnth to stand on her own. Good job mom and dad!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! I have always wanted to learn how to quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You changed your blog's look! I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohhhh....you're kind of scaring me! :) Glad you were able to get this back out! It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just wonderful...you are abundantly talented and wise!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't know what's more beautiful (and powerful)...your words or that amazing quilt. Very well said!

    ReplyDelete
  22. how inspiring. this made me just want to cry. the quilt is such a gift - so beautiful. i can't imagine all that time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is gorgeous! I hope your daughter will not only enjoy its beauty, but daily recognize the love, passion, sacrifice and joy that went into making it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a brilliant post!! I can so relate to this!! My daughter turns 23 on Sunday and I've never been more proud of her than I am at this very minute!! She has just moved into her very own house and she has a full time job with benefits and a cute little dog that she takes very good care of! There were many a time, I thought I'd never make it through the middle school years, but I did! And I'm sure everyone else will too. Fabulous quilt you are making for your daughter! I'm sure she'll always cherish it!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face! What a heartfelt post.... The quilt is absolutely beautiful, and I know she will be so touched and thrilled to receive this from you. I think the quilt be even more loved by her now that she is a young adult. She will see your love in every stitch.

    My daughter just turned 13, so this came at a perfect time. Everything is fine now, but I wait and watch hoping we sail through these teen years.

    Roban

    P.S. Another similaritiy... I've always WANTED to quilt, even thought about going to a quilting group. I tend to want to try everything!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It is a beautiful quilt and sweet post.

    ReplyDelete
  27. We are a LONG way from the teen years, but I'm sure it will come up fast. I am working on a pieced turtle quilt for my son's bed off and on. I should have had it done for this winter, but it looks like it will have to be next.

    Isn't that how it goes?

    ReplyDelete
  28. that quilting looks amazing!!! fabulous! and i have one teen...3 to come...but all girls. i have a project going all the time. sewing, scrapping,etc just to keep my mind on something!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love your work and the lessons that you learned through the process. Quilting is a lost art that many younger women do not consider. It reminds me of family and friends that are long gone. I need to keep this in mind when the diaper changing stops and my hands will be free for something to do.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well, for some reason there wasn't a "leave comment" for your post above this one....so this is actually about the movie. Thanks for the great review! I've been wondering about that. And now that I know it's SOOOO long...I think I'll wait and just rent it! :-)

    Thanks for the nice comments lately - I'm sorry I haven't been your way very often - I'm severely backlogged! But I just wanted you to know that I haven't forgotten about you!

    ReplyDelete

I am abundantly grateful for your comments!