I just returned from an amazing vacation in the New Mexico mountains. There is no substitute for true respite. It is as necessary as breathing. I do forget from one mini vacation to the next just how much it is needed. I love traveling to new places. I have fond memories of trips abroad where I learned of other cultures and experienced history before my very eyes. Travel always opens my mind to new ideas.
Road trips, however, are a very different kind of travel. There is absolutely no anxiety of security checks, flight delays and lost luggage. It is the most freeing I ever feel to have the car fueled and loaded and simply drive away from the place I call home. The further I get away from home the more I begin to relax and wonder what experiences will come my way.
Such was the case last week when we took off to Santa Fe and Red River. A perfect location to unwind, breathe in the fresh air and notice again the world that God provides. For me it is as if the doors open and nature is there for me on the other side, calling me through the threshold and telling me that newness awaits.
I am reminded again that I have an abundant life and that I have enough. That blessings abound in my life and I have only to walk through that open door to discover what more life has to offer. When I returned home, the doors of my home welcomed me back, the doors of my office seemed wider to allow more blessings in, and the door of my heart remains open as I seek to keep the mountains and the gifts gained there ever present.
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I visited Sante Fe (on business) years ago and absolutely loved it. I didn't get to explore as much as I would have liked, and didn't get to relax without any demands or worries interfering... but, it was still an amazing place to be.
ReplyDeleteI brought home two pieces of pottery from that trip, which still sit in my kitchen today and remind me of the beauty out west.
It's so good to read your words again.... I especially needed to hear "That blessings abound in my life and I have only to walk through that open door to discover what more life has to offer."
How true is that! All we have to do is walk out the door to discover blessings all around us....
Thanks for reminding me. Students arrive tomorrow, so I'll look on each of them as a new blessing in my life!
Hugs,
Roban
Welcome home Coach!
ReplyDeleteFirstly I want to tell you how much I love, love, love your new header photo, it is SO inviting.
Also your new avatar photo....looking good kid!
Road trips are my favourite way to travel. Lots of conversation, music, beautiful scenery, going of the beaten track anytime the mood strikes.....
Hopefully you are still free for our phone hookup this weekend, can't wait to hear all your news.
Beautiful post.
Hugs
Peggy xxxx
Oh how I need a mini vacation! I would love to go on a road trip all by myself sometime and just see where I end up.
ReplyDeleteRight now I don't think the kidlets would enjoy that!
I meant to tell you yesterday that your new profile picture is so good of you.... Great look!
ReplyDelete