
Tuesday is almost over but there is still time for bedtime reading and I have just the book! One of my favorite Christmas books is "Night Tree" by Eve Bunting. This book has old fashioned illustrations and an old fashioned family theme you will love. This is a simple story about a family who has a tradition. Each year they make popcorn strings and other ornaments and deliver into the forest to decorate their favorite woodland tree. By the light of the moon and a good flashlight the family decorates the tree and then they lay out a blanket and have treats while they sing carols, a Christmas gift for the animals of the forest. After they return home, they young boy in the family imagines the forest animals dancing around and enjoying Christmas around the tree. What better way to talk about the simple gifts of Christmas, the giving of self, of homemade gifts and the pure joy of giving.This is a perfect opportunity to talk about the different animals of the forest. Compare and contrast this list with the animals in other categories such as zoo, farm, jungle, dessert, and ocean.
Consider how your family will provide Christmas to the creatures in your back yard!
Have a discussion about the treats you would take with you if you were going into the forest for a picnic. What would be in your thermos? What treats would you take for the animals?
I like this book because the family is doing an activity together. When our children were small two years in a row we went to a tree farm and cut down our own tree. I say only two because two of us in the family were allergic to the tree! In year two our beautiful tree fell in the living room and there was quite a mess on the off white carpet. Seemed like a wonderful, simple and natural idea at the time and it was! Cutting down the tree at the farm is still a fond memory for our girls. This may or may not work for you but I wonder what your family could come up with to make this story come alive and make a memory for your holiday season!
Abundance is...creating your own traditions.
nice post
ReplyDeletehappy tuesday tales
awwwwww.........perfect!!!
ReplyDeleteyou've inspired me!!!
Thanks for the recommendation -- I'm always looking for new Christmas books. We have a while shelf of them, and we read a lot by the light of the tree this time of year.
ReplyDeleteThat is a very cool story - creating traditions your family will always remember. And that is truly abundance - the abundance of family and doing something together!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you left something for me at the Red Cup! That is just amazing. I left a longer note for you on my blog in response to your comment. It is really uncanny the connections we can make in the blogging community. I'm blessed to have found you!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great book! I am loving the photo of faith you added!
ReplyDeleteI love books.... I love children's books.... I love Christmas books. Thanks! This one is a new one to me. Barnes and Noble... am I there yet?
ReplyDeleteRoban
I'm also loving the thumbnails on your blog roll. Too cute and fun to scroll down and see all of the images. You just lit up my life... again. :-)
ReplyDeletethanks so much for my package!!!
ReplyDeleteI blogged about it today!
I wish I'd known about that forest critter book while I was teaching early elementary special ed! Looks great!
ReplyDeleteHope your December is rolling along nicely. :)
I love finding new great children's books!
ReplyDeleteI'm going to go hunt for this book today. Thanks for sharing about it. Sounds like a wonderful story!
ReplyDeleteHow did I miss this Eve Bunting book?? Thank you. Thank you!
ReplyDelete