Sunday, January 3, 2010

I'm Looking Around


I did it, I started my "To Do" list for the New Year. I have a compulsion in January to look around my home and really SEE what is before me. Most of the year I am busy with the routine and fail to see little pockets of "stuff" that need my attention. When did that little object get placed there... and why have I not noticed it. Wow! That room is looking bad...what does it need? We could use another .....

So this morning I started the list. I started with the living room...and moving mentally through each room noticed areas and items of neglect. I made a list of needs and a few wants that would improve our visual space but also the efficiency with which we go through our year. Nothing earth shattering but with a little attention I can plan how to make the changes. I can wait for sales, plan how to use my coupons and economically make the changes.

One example; we are down to two good pot holders. An object that I do not care in the least about but one that is necessary if you want to avoid scorched body parts. You get the idea. I am usually thinking big picture and assign more importance to improving my personal qualities rather that my possessions.

So, now I am more aware..the first step toward taking action. Now where is that coupon section of my Sunday paper?

5 comments:

  1. It's been so long since I've come over and everything has changed! I love your blog look but especially like your picture right up there in the front! Lovely.
    I wouldn't DARE to go through my house with a pencil and paper..."hmm, I wonder when that vienna sausage was stuffed there? Oh-- look, more torn wall paper, I wonder if those size 6 boxers crammed behind my potted plant are clean or dirty?". Yeah. Good luck with your list and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imbeingheldhostage, So good to hear from you. Yes, notice I only have one example...pot holders seemed safe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to do this too, beginning with potholders as well! And stuff! How do we accumulate so much? It's time to do a little decluttering I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man oh man if I took a pen and paper and went from room to room compiling a list of areas and items that I have neglected the pen would run dry and I would run out of paper.....LOL.
    But I get your point Wendy, pay attention to the little things no matter how trivial they might seem – those are the things that throw us for a loop, and the big things will take care of themselves.
    Really great to have you back blogging Wendy, I have certainly missed your wise words.
    Heaps of love
    Peggy xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is it with potholders? Where do they go? Things I might include are potholders, nice washcloths, new living room flooring...One thing I recently noticed is something happened to all my baking pans. I have plenty of glass ones but no cookie sheets or jelly roll pans which are good for roasting potatoes and don't let the oil run all over your oven. I am certain I had these things...Where are they?

    ReplyDelete

I am abundantly grateful for your comments!