Wednesday, May 26, 2010

How To Be A Blessing

One of my favorite books is called "The Blessing" by Smalley and Trent. It is grounded in the custom from the Hebrew tradition that the father at some specific and special time in a child's life would intentionally and with the greatest depth of feeling give the child a spoken message..a blessing. I have always seen this as an ultimate act of  expression of love and encouragement. We all want to hear words of affirmation, acceptance, and love and when we do we tend to grown into healthier adults. We tend to be adults who can in turn have healthy and close relationships.

According to Smalley and Trent, "The Blessing" has five elements. A blessing must include a spoken message, attach high value, picture a special future, include an active commitment to see that the words lead to actions and must always include meaningful touch
The tradition of giving the blessing is still a part of the Jewish tradition. In today's world I think it is even more critical now that children receive this blessing and not just on one occasion but seamlessly as a part of family life regardless of ones religious faith. Taken another step further I love the idea that anyone, no matter their age, can give another person a blessing.

Parent to child, child to parent , spouse to spouse, co-worker to boss, boss to co-worker, friend to friend, neighbor to neighbor. There are endless pairs of relationships in which the gift of a blessing could only enhance the relationship or lift another person up. I challenge us to think about the words of blessing we have received in our lives, be grateful for them and to pay them forward by speaking them to another often. Smalley and Trent offer great help if  a person has somehow regretfully missed out on The Blessing.

 Complete the circle, continue the circle and give and give and give those blessing words away. You will never regret them.

Living Gratefully....one blessing at a time.

1 comment:

  1. I agree 100% with giving blessing words aways. And do you know what.....they come back 100 fold.
    I have never felt so blessed since I learnt how to pay it forward.

    Bless you Wendy!
    Hugs
    Peggy xxxx

    ReplyDelete

I am abundantly grateful for your comments!