Friday, May 28, 2010
Talk To Yourself
I once heard about a counseling technique where you picture your younger self sitting next to you. You are the older self and you consider what you would tell your younger self. I found that interesting. When you think about yourself as a young child, how old are you? What age popped into your head at the mention?
I am about 6. I think my memory comes from my first grade photo. Pixie hair cut. Front teeth missing. Knee socks up to my knees and a little plaid dress. She looks pretty happy. No family traumas. Has friends to play with. A brother to fight with. A best friend who lives next door. A happy life. No idea of the world that is yet to be experienced for its good or its bad.
So I wondered what the true purpose of this exercise was.
Was it to warn that little girl with the toothless smile what was to happen in the future? Or was it to share with her all of the good things you would want her to hear, to affirm her so that when she was older she would feel confident and good about herself?
I have actually tried this. It seems that all of the negative things we say to ourselves, those old tapes that replay over and over when we least expect it, those little messages that target our worth were created some time between the age of our childhood and now.
Who recorded your tapes? Who set the message loop on continue so that within your mind you you could always count on a "little voice" reminding you that you aren't near that great.
My little self was a happy yet sometimes a fearful little girl. I would tell her today to gather around her as many people as possible who can love her, see the best in her and always, always be grateful that she is their friend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am 16 years old standing in my front yard. Suddenly I realize, I was thin. I am not sure who put it in my head that I wasn't. It could have been peers, cousins, who knows. But that thought stayed in my mind until it became a self fulfilling prophecy.
ReplyDeleteMy affirmation for me to day is, I am happy, and healthy, and this happy, healthy woman would tell that 16 year old girl. YOU LOOK GREAT!!!
Oh Wendy it is wonderful reading your wise words again, I didn't realise how much I had missed them until reading this post.
ReplyDeleteMy story began when I was 9 and felt very lonely and unloved. I carried these feelings around with me until I was 51 and suffered a severe breakdown. About a year later I came across this counseling technique and with medication it helped me change and become a whole person.
Today the nine year old and I feel completely loved and our loneliness has been totally dissolved. She now is such a happy-go-lucky child.
You have no idea how blessed and grateful I feel. And being able to meet in real life some of my wonderful blogging friend is the icing on the cake.
Namaste
Peggy xxxxooooo
Hi Wendy,
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking of myself as a 5 year old. I recall that age as a time when nothing else mattered but "the moment". And it was a great place to be...in the moment...always. Sometimes I'm there today...and sometimes (probably more than I'd like to admit) I'm not. Thinking back to then is good for me to really remember that it's the moments, and fully being in them, that counts....
wow, this is really thought provoking. We are always so much harsher with ourselves than we are with others, it could be interesting to find out when the negative thoughts slipped in. Great post idea!
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure of my age but I'm frightened and feel that whatever happens is my fault. Worrying about things has followed me through the years and trust issues.... I would tell that little girl that life happens all around us, and that we can't control everything that takes place. What we can control, however, is how we look at life and how we face each day. For me, I find moments in the day that absolutely astound me. Beauty, love, peace, joy. Sometimes I look for these things. At other times they come to me unbeckoned.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure how but I seem to have lost touch. Hope all is well with you and your family.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed this post and picture myself around 6 too. I would tell "mini me" to have more faith and confidence in myself and not to listen to others so much. I would tell "mini me" to reach for the stars because if she wanted something badly enough only she could make it happen. I would also tell her to avoid a few boys who broke my heart at all costs. LOL