I have had many discussions in the last few weeks about the dire condition of the economy. I cannot watch the news or turn on my radio without a critic with some level of expertise sharing their opinion of the economy, the stimulus package, the state of unemployment or housing. It seems that the louder and more negative you are the longer the interview and the more face time you get on the air.Now I acknowledge the enormity of the situation, and I pray for those who are hurting. I am glad that we have leaders from both sides to work out a plan to correct the vast number of systems that appear broken but I have another view to consider. One of course from a perspective of abundance. It seems we jump to quickly to "it won't work", " we can't", "it's worse". We do it in our own homes when things begin to fall apart and it seems our country is going down that same rabbit trail.
I heard an interview this week on NPR that was not about the economy but was an interview with author Amy Dickinson who has a new memoir published this month titled "The Mighty Queens of Freeville". In this interview she made one small comment about the state of our union and that is we are lacking a spirit of prevailing.
I immediately began to think about how this concept of prevailing contributes to abundance. That when times are tough we might want to consider not just enduring... to me that means we "stand still", do nothing and maybe complain or live in fear, but add in the element of "prevail" and you have so much more. Prevail means to "overcome". Prevail and overcome may at first glance appear to be the end result to one's problem but I see "Prevail" as the process with which we get through. The word "Prevail" is proactive and leans more toward a thought that we have a chance, that we will move toward a solution, and that working together we can like a plant growing through the crack of a sidewalk prevail. We simply need to do more to encourage each other, and speak encouragingly of the efforts of others to help us prevail.
A thought for our family issues, a lesson for our children involved in competition, and maybe... just maybe a thought for our country in need.
Abundance is...an attitude that we can prevail.
The photos came from Flickr.com. Sited under the heading "Prevail". The crack in the sidewalk is from Mikepordenaluk and the bus sign is from Worldofoddy.
A special blessing today for the "Macs" family in the loss of their two year old Cora Paige. She in a matter of only 2 weeks became ill and lost the fight.

May everyone with honorable and just goals prevail in spades.
ReplyDeletenow that the contest is over, i can tell you that i voted for you and a couple other bloggers that didn't get on the nomination list. i guess he cuts it off at 10. the thing is, you could have more votes across multiple categories. but, whatever. i do enjoy your blog and miss you when you don't post! i just remembered this morning your question about your daughter - PR. my email is jenx67[at]cox[dot]net. i'll be glad to send you some ideas!
ReplyDeleteloved this post...
Great post. I definitely feel that the negativity on tv/radio is bringing us all down.
ReplyDeleteI feel the powers that be want us to be in a state of panic. It is only through informing ourselves about the true state of the union that we CAN prevail instead of endure.
ReplyDeleteGREAT post...you are SO right; we are always very quick to point out how we "can't" do things... I think it's a way of not wanting to try!!
ReplyDeleteMoving post!
ReplyDeleteAnd I recently read about Cora over the weekend. SO sad!!!!!!!!
I like your optimistic and prevailing attitude! I agree with Annemarie that it is important to be informed and not believe everything you hear. Everyone is howling about this or that. Hopefully, we'll have some wise people looking twice at the money that is earmarked for "stimulus." I personally think the economy would improve if they would share that money with all of the country's taxpaying citizens. Instead, we'll be paying for this for generations to come. (okay... now I'm not sounding too positive, am I?!)
ReplyDeleteI like your positive attitude Coach.
ReplyDeleteExploring processes of collaborative thinking is a very effective way of finding solutions to overcome this chapter in world history.
We always prevail, I just hope we recognise the opportunities when they arise.
My beloved computer is now working again. A company called "Super Geek" recovered all my data....I feel so blessed.
Hugs
Peggy
I so agree...we will not only survive...we will thrive!
ReplyDeleteI believe God is in the midst of everything!
Love it! I recently read an email that compared this "recession" statistically to the 80's and 20's. We are still much better off than unemployment, income,inflation at those times. I didn't even check it on snopes. I am so grateful to recieve a positive word and some encouragment. I am sick of the negativity of the media!
ReplyDeleteAbundance is a drop of hope!
I really like that idea that TOGETHER we can prevail. The problems our country faces right now belong to all of us -- we're all invested here. It's not the responsibility of the government or the banks or wall street to fix this -- it is upon each of our shoulders. I'm afraid we've gotten to a point where we expect everything to be fixed yesterday, and by someone else -- it's time to own our own lives.
ReplyDeleteI've heard about the tornados in your neck of the woods. I hope everyone is okay.
I love it. Abundance is....an attitude that we can prevail. Now, if only everyone would adopt this motto. I will sure try!
ReplyDeleteI really needed this today. I found out that after April I will no longer have my perfect part-time job. But it will be ok. We can find a way to make things work out. We can prevail.
ReplyDeleteWe will prevail and hopefully we will all be more educated through the process. I have learned so much about me and what I need as I have learned to cut back and do without. I hope that more people will begin to do this!
ReplyDeleteWe will prevail and hopefully we will all be more educated through the process. I have learned so much about me and what I need as I have learned to cut back and do without. I hope that more people will begin to do this!
ReplyDeleteYes we can! (sorry but it's so fitting). Abundance is...an attitude that we can prevail...I just love that! This is a wonderful post and gives me lot's to think about.
ReplyDeleteBTW, so sorry about the Macs family...sending lot's of prayers.
good word. my mind linked "prevailing" with "overcoming":
ReplyDelete"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33
that brought me back to my word, too--shalom. i finally posted an acrostic:)
happy valentine's day!
Great post. If you're going to keep writing like this, I may just have to set your blog as my opening browser page (you know, an inspiration to start the day with).
ReplyDeleteI went over and read about Cora-- all the way from Christmas on. I am a blubbering mess now, my heart breaks for them. Thank you for sending me over.
Prevail, prevail, prevail. Yep. Easy to say, a challenge to continue in...and good lessons for us all.
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Hi! I just stopped by to see how you're doing. Hope you and your family are filling your life with fun stuff that is just keeping you too busy to post.
ReplyDelete