How does real change begin? I have "started over" with my many commitments and resolutions over and over again. I always intended to keep my commitments to myself...what kept me from being consistent? I am not sure. What I do know is that since I began the year with my WORD "abundance" I have sought to define exactly what that means. I last posted on living in the moment. I am definitely practicing this one. Part II of my journey started with a doctor visit. A new doctor who gave me some new medication for a chronic pain that I have experienced for years. Within days, the pain was more controlled. The next Sunday at church I met a visitor who had been in a yoga class I had attended several years before. She invited me back to yoga. The next night I was walking into the yoga room with a renewed energy. I was excited about the prospect of the experience.
It has been 8 weeks and I have attended yoga three times per week and I have to say there has been more than a change in strength and flexibility, although the physical activity has continued to lift my spirits and make me feel strong. The last 10 minutes of the class is a time of complete quiet and relaxation. Soft music plays in the background. It is truly the best part of my week. I have not yet been able to create the same experience at home but that is surely a goal. In that 10 minutes the goal is to completely relax, to allow the ground to support the body and for that moment to focus on the breath. It also beckons one to be comfortable with silence. Sounds simple enough...but it is not that easy. It is difficult to avoid letting thoughts of the day creep in or to be distracted by outside sounds.
I find this experience to be an abundant gift and the experience has led to a few more gifts for my spirit. More about that in future posts.
I have friends who take spin classes, bike, walk, and run in the outdoors. I suspect for each of them the experience creates the same type of effect...it can become a form of meditation, a time to be introspective.
I can only be encouraged that so far so good on the commitment. That in itself feels like a small victory. Yoga is an ancient practice. It is an awe inspiring thought that throughout history people through yoga have sought change and inspiration. The achievement of "enlightenment" in yoga practice is said to be an ultimate quest, but for now my personal quest occurs one class at a time with the next balanced pose and 10 minutes of inner peace.
Abundance is...holding a "Down Dog" for longer than 10 seconds!! :) (heels still not down)
I'm so proud of you and so thrilled for the results you're seeing! Keep going, Girl!
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Your quest to live in the moment and to live it well and abundantly is inspiring.
ReplyDeleteYou are awesome! Yoga is something I never could get into, but I totally understand the need and love for time to reflect, be inspired, and be at peace. MY form of peace and abundance and physical uplift usually comes in the midst of a sweaty, intense spinning class or a riveting hip hop class. :) Enjoy! And good for you!
ReplyDeleteThis is sooooo awesome. I have only tried Yoga just at home from a DVD but I can definitely appreciate how it makes you feel. I am that outside wogger (walker/jogger) you spoke about and I am just not at peace with myself unless I get that workout in. I am proud of you for sticking with this. 3x a week for 8 weeks is amazing. Keep it up. You're probably at the point where you're committed now.
ReplyDeletewhat a great accomplishment and I'm glad your pain is under control!
ReplyDeleteLife is about capturing those moments of quiet and focus!!
You are an inspiration for any woman who says they don't have time for themselves! Congratulations! Jenni
ReplyDeleteoh my goodness.
ReplyDeleteyou're such an inspiration to me love.
So glad you found something so relaxing for you! I recently took a Biktram yoga class (hot yoga). I too loved the last 10 quiet minutes. After dripping sweat for almost an hour and a half it was nice to be still! Keep up the good work:)
ReplyDeleteWait, some people's feel touch the ground?
This is so good for you! What a wonderful physical and spiritual journey you are on! Enjoy and bask in this experience.
ReplyDeleteYoga is wonderful - there are some yoga moves that have to be done carefully (or not at all) - but when you learn the right way, as you are doing, it's such a good way to be flexible and,yes, to help chronic pain! *smiling* proud of you!
ReplyDeleteReading all the comments above I concur you are an inspiration to us all.
ReplyDeleteA commitment 3 times a week to yoga is to be applauded and you are being rewarded accordingly.
This is a wonderful road you are travelling along, it will lead to many forks to pursue.
I have found the fork in the road presents us with a choice: Do we continue on the same path we have been following all along, or do we take a different path?
Maybe the new path will lead us somewhere, maybe it won't. It's hard to know before we try. There's a risk involved in making a decision, and it can feel scary.
The problem we face is whether or not we're willing to take the risk of making changes.
You my friend, as I said before are "walking the walk". The song Rambling Rose by Nat King Cole just popped into my head. It was my late father's favourite song and one of my favourite songs as well.
Of course the other song "Climb every mountain" from the Sound of Music is a very fitting song for your journey.
Big hugs
Peggy
I'm so impressed (whether your heels are down or not!!). And what an inspiration you are to those of us who are "too busy" to do something like this for ourselves. It just takes the decision and commitment...and follow-through!
ReplyDeleteRoban
Ahhh...just reading about it makes me relax a bit. I love Yoga too! The last 10 minutes are the most peace I am able to find at any time in my current life. I am so glad you love it!
ReplyDelete