Saturday, March 21, 2009

This Very Moment: My Journey #1

Ah! What an amazing moment I just had opening my blog site after several weeks. It was like coming home. I have been taking a journey and discovering some wonderful things about life and myself. The journey has been taken within the schedule of my own life. It has required no vacation, no special resort. I look forward to sharing some of my journey in the next few weeks.

The first lesson I am learning is to live in the moment. Not just talking about living in the moment but actually doing that. It requires practice.
I can do nothing about my experience in the past. I cannot change it or control it or make it different. Really, it no longer exists.

And the future is not in my control. Tomorrow is not in my control. I heard someone say that worry or concern for the future is fear that something may happen that I do not want to happen.

So, I could spend time worrying about what is to come that may or may not happen the way I want it, or I could accept the fact that tomorrow will come and I shall live in that moment when it arrives.

Living in the moment is freeing and allows us to enjoy or life without strings that tie down.

I am reading Paulo Coelho's book "The Alchemist". Here is a quote from this book: "Because I don't live in either my past or my future, I'm interested only in the present. If you can concentrate always on the present, you'll be a happy man. You'll see that there is life in the desert, that there are stars in the heavens, and that tribesmen fight because they are part of the human race. Life will be a party for you, a grand festival, because life is the moment we're living right now."

I am used to thinking about my calendar and always wanted to know what was to come. I used to live through my precious time on the weekends thinking about what I had to do the next week. In fact, my favorite quote was from the movie "Kate and Leopold", paraphrasing Kate was sitting in Leopold's arms on their deck on Sunday. It was a tender moment and Kate says, "I hate Sundays. And Leopold asked why. Kate replied.. Because tomorrow is Monday."

In order to have a more abundant life I am taking time to discover how I can do that. For this reason I have not been blogging. I love my blog and I love the people who I share this interest with. I think that my blog and my life will be better for the journey.

So for today, at this moment I am only thinking about this post, sharing life with others and enjoying the fact that I love opening my blog and seeing the beautiful blue and the lovely picture I have chosen. I love seeing the faces of those who share posts with me and looking at the titles of others posts as they pop up on my screen. Soon I will live in a moment to read some posts, share some encouraging comments. For now, I wish you abundance in this moment of your life.
Abundance is..."enjoying this moment!"

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! I love your thoughts on living in the moment...it's something I try to remind myself of often. I read the book "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle and this is exactly the point he makes in that book. It's a wonderful read if you haven't gotten ahold of it already! Happy Living In the Moment To You!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back Coach!
    Beautiful John Denver song "Today" to accompany this post.

    Reading this delightful post, I can tell your journey is very fruitful (or abundantly productive as the Merrian-Webster states).

    You know I share your philosophy on living in the moment.
    It was interesting reading about your calendar as I know how important it was to you and now not so much.

    I will share with you another quote:
    “Today is life-the only life you are sure of. Make the most of today. Get interested in something. Shake yourself awake. Develop a hobby. Let the winds of enthusiasm sweep through you. Live today with gusto.”
    Dale Carnegie quotes (American lecturer, author, 1888-1955)

    Cheerio my friend
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! The Alchemist is one of my most favorite books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great to see you back! Living in the moment - what a wonderful way to live. And it has me thinking of where I'm at on that continuum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're back. I'm enjoying things moment to moment too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go for it girl. One of my favorite lines in a movie is from The Dead Poet's Society and it is
    Carpe diam -

    translation = Sieze the day!!!

    As a former member of the Sunday Night Blues club - ( i created this club in college) I will try to sieze the day or moment with ya!
    Nice post

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to see you back! As always, what a fabulous post. Thanks for this little reminder. We are currently in a transitional phase of our life (getting ready to make a big move). I need to remember to live in these moments. It is easy to get caught up in what is coming next. Lots of planning that inevitably needs to be done, but I am still here now. I need to "be" here :)

    I started the Alchemist and never finished it. Maybe I should pick that back up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great reminder about living in the moment and welcome back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I already feel inspired skimming through this post and the more recent one BUT I am going to go for a run and then come back so I can feel what I THINK you have been feeling!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK, I am back from my run, I feel wonderful, and am totally loving this post SO MUCH! I tend to be a Kate hating Sundays because tomorrow is Monday and that is sooooo bad. I wish to live in the moment more!!!!! Enjoy your NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! The Alchemist is such a great book! Put's everything in perspective...

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've both been absent from our blogs at the same time, and it's interesting to read how productive your time has been. For me, it's been a non-stop rush of work that's left me feeling exhausted and irritable. I so need to get on your path.... mine is not working!

    Roban

    ReplyDelete

I am abundantly grateful for your comments!