Monday, September 21, 2009

It's My Birthday and I Feel Abundantly Wiser!

I was born in 1961 and September marks my 48th birthday. This is not a seemingly important birthday. 48 is not 45 or 50, typically the mark of major celebrations. But I have to say my 47th year leading up to 48 has really been one of my best years. I can say this primarily because I believe that it is the year of lessons learned and a wonderful journey toward a life of abundance.



Last year, September 2008 I met through blogging Roban. What a surprise to find another person who was born on the same day in the same year. See my post about our new found friendship here. This birthday we are posting about some of the major moments in our lives. I decided to take it by decade not of the tens but of the eights. Please visit Roban's blog "Moments in Time" and tell her Happy Birthday too!





I begin with a photo of me with my parents a year or so after I was born. We have few pictures because our house burned in 1963 and our family photos burned with it. Isn't it something to see our parents as young parents themselves.







In 1969, at 8 years of age we moved to Norman, Oklahoma and I remember this year as a year of starting over..a new school, meeting new friends, a new church.






In 1979, I was a Senior in High School. It was the tradition at my High School for all Sr. girls to have boas for their Sr. pictures for the year book. In high school I was involved in chorus and drama. Gotta love a boa!









By 1989 I had been married for 8 years and had two girls, 1985 and 1988. I had graduated with a masters degree in Speech Pathology and was working part time in a public school. At 28, it was a a challenge adjusting to parenting two small children, starting a new career, and serving a church with my husband. It was at the same time rewarding with activities in social clubs and community theater.





In 1999, at 38 I was learning lessons in patience as we entered the decade of parenting teens, moved to our 6th church and began a new adventure in my career serving children with hearing loss.








It is 2009, at 48 I am enjoying life in all aspects. A few lessons I have learned in this last decade:



  • Think of each day as a do over.

  • There is enough attention for everyone.

  • Once a parent always a parent even when children are in their 20's.

  • Yoga makes you bendy.

  • It's easier to gain than to lose.

  • It's always a blessing to tell someone what they mean to you.

  • You will be happier if you learn to let go, give up control.

  • Abundance will come to you when you encourage another.

  • Reading expands your mind.

  • If you need trifocals, get a cool pair of glasses and smile.

  • As long as you can still remember your own name, memory loss is okay.

  • Technology could be hazardous to your health.

  • Call your parents often.

  • Learn something new every year.

  • Forgiveness is easier than resentment.

  • It is okay to say nothing.

  • Expect miracles.

  • You have to work at living abundantly!

Abundance is....being grateful every day!

8 comments:

  1. I am always grateful to see you pop up in my reader. :)

    Happy Birthday to you!! I hope you have a wonderful day and a truly abundant year.

    I love your wisdom. You have amazing insight! Thanks for sharing all of your life lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I couldn't wait for your birthday post, but the day got away from me with teaching and all :-) Glad I remembered to get back over here. I love all of your lessons. We will see what I have to say at 48.

    Your friend
    Annemarie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! I hope it's been a wonderful day so far!

    Your post is so good. I love the lessons learned and must admit that I could still learn, or re-learn, a few of those myself.

    I had to laugh at the one about memory loss. Definitely a good one for me. And I loved the line about yoga makes you bendy. I need that!!

    Funny, there's another similarity between us.... I did community theatre during my 20s (only one play and one community Follies) and loved it. I checked on theatre when we moved here but decided that I didn't want to go through auditions....

    How fun to celebrate our birthdays together. I may go back and add my graduation picture.... I want to match with my birthday sister!

    Hugs!
    Roban

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coach it is always a delight to read your posts and this one especially! Thanks for sharing all those delightful photos.
    I am sure this birthday is abundantly full for you as all your days are.

    Loved reading your lessons learned....especially "Expect miracles". That is something that we seem to forget.

    Bless you dear friend.
    Big hugs
    Peggy xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!!! I'm so glad you stopped over for a visit. I took it as an invitation to stop by myself and what did I find, but a Birthday Party!!!
    I used to think birthdays were nothing special, just another day. Recently I've learned birthdays ARE special and are meant to be Celebrated! They not only celebrate our parents but, the Great Creator of us all. Birthdays make us reflect on where we've been, where we are, and were we'd like to be. In this reflection we can make choices, to live in the past, stay content were we are, or continue to grow and reach for the Light of our Holy potential. Each Birthday I face with a Grateful heart, look to the heavens and say, "OK God, I made it here by Your Grace. Where to next?"

    May your life be filled with all the abundance and miracles that are offered to us every day. May you reflect upon the past with a gentle heart, gratefully praise today, and may you continue to reach for the Light of your True, Holy potential. Celebrate your birthday! Celebrate Every Day! Blessings to you and yours. Love and Light, Nina P

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so happy to see your comment. And I am so happy for you in how you feel turning 48. I think life gets sweeter as long as we're learning lessons like yours along the way. I actually can't wait for 38 next month!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated birthday! Love the lessons learned - especially "Expect miracles..."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday, sweet friend. Happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete

I am abundantly grateful for your comments!