I've always loved rainstorms. I love the thunder and the lightning. I love the sound of the rain. In Oklahoma we get our share of rain in the late spring. August has been unusual, we have had much rain.
When I was a little girl I always wanted to run out in the rain and play in it. Of course, with lightning around mommies do not let little girls play in the rain. Since then I have let rain curtail many a plan to do something fun outside. Getting wet was not an activity that I was willing to experience. In fact, I have been a maniac about keeping my umbrella with me so that I would be prepared.
I recently have begun to faithfully get up early and walk. My husband walks with me most mornings at five AM. He is a runner and unless there is lightning or extremely cold weather, he has not let the rain stop him from getting in that run. Over the last several weeks we have had a threat of rain early in the morning. The lightning would be only miles away with no drops of rain falling. We managed to get in our walk without a drop falling on our heads.
I learned a new lesson on vacation in Red River. I actually learned many lessons that you will read about over the next weeks. But on this vacation we committed to getting up early and walking. In the mountains, the storm clouds do not necessarily roll in to warn you of the rain. It may look relatively clear and suddenly begin raining. This happened one morning. During our walk, it suddenly began raining. It was a light rain and we settled in and continued our walk. We smiled and enjoyed the rain. Unlike the wicked witch of the west I did not melt!
Songwriters have really made their mark with lyrics about the rain. Rain for some denotes pain, sadness, bad times, heartache. Rain gets a bad name! I think we can learn to enjoy the rainy days of our lives if we relax, breathe through it and know that the rain will not last forever. It will pass and we will have experienced something profound. Lessons can be learned from the rain.
I have embedded a youtube video with 10 minutes of rain. Listen as you will and maybe meditate on your rain experience and think about how rain can lead to your own lessons learned.
Also for your enjoyment I have included many songs with a rain theme on my playlist.
Abundance is....Hearing laughter in the rain!
Monday, August 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow lucky us, two posts in two days! And what a delightful post.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately I can't hear any of the songs as playlist.com can now only be heard in the USA. All other countries have licensing restrictions at the moment. :-(
With your words you painted a very visual picture of the rhythm of the rain and how it can be enjoyed if we allow ourselves to experience the journey. :-)
Today it rained here in Sydney while Joseph and I were walking to the park. Instead of turning around and going home we decided to keep on walking. We sang as we walked and eventually the sun came out again. The song we were singing was "The Itsy, Bitsy Spider"!
:-D
Peggy
I love to listen to the rain, too. I used to live in a garage apartment that had a tin roof. How wonderful that rain sounded! Back when I was a dedicated runner, I ran through rain and even finished up with a few real thunderstorms. It felt good doing what I wanted to do in spite of the rain.
ReplyDeleteOur past spring was unusually wet. I would stay in as much as possible. One Saturday I ventured to the grocery store and was surprised that people were OUT in that rain! How silly of me, I thought.
I love your analogy of rain and life. ... a good lesson indeed!
Roban
I look forward to hearing your lessons learned.
ReplyDeleteI agree - two posts close together! Yeah!
I LOVE LOVE the rain. It just feels cozy and poetic to me.
ReplyDeleteGreat post about the rain! I enjoy the rain. Although admittedly not day after day after day as we sometimes get here in the summer. :)
ReplyDeleteMonsoon season here... my favorite time of year!
ReplyDeleteGlad you are well, walking and enjoying the rain!
Laura
I love the way it smells after it rains!
ReplyDeleteWho knew there were so many songs about rain?