Monday, August 18, 2008

Dwelling...Abode...Domicile...Residence...HOME

I have just returned from a wonderful respite away from our humble abode. Time shared with good friends, good music, good food and cool mountain air. After a long journey back, it was sure good to see the front porch when we drove into the driveway of our residence. And last night it was sure good to sleep in my own bed. This morning I opened my email and there on the page was a great blog from my good friend Octamom. She asked, "So when does a house become a home?" Well, I can speak to that, in fact I feel somewhat of an expert in creating a home from a house. I am married to a pastor and in 26 years we are now living in our 8th house. I have to say some were more of a dwelling than others. Let's see....I am remembering.....

Oops! That was another life!

Not!! I never wanted to be First Lady of the church!

Really, not that bad!


Okay, so my memory isn't what it used to be. I have lived in some doozies though. Here is a list of features from the good old days!

Olive Green Flocked Wallpaper

Variegated brown long shag carpet

Pink formica countertops

Windows painted shut

Bluish panelled walls

Poodle concrete sculpture in front of garden walkway to front door

Did I mention windows painted shut

Peel and Stick "Stained Glass" patterned contact paper on front door

Full mirrored wall in a 20 X 15 living room

Oh! and windows painted shut

Yes, these features did exist in one or more of the 8 accomodations in which we dwelt. As bad as some of them were, what I do remember is placing our belongings in just the right space, creating a warm place to share family time and a few laughs with friends. What I remember is the love that the people of each church had for our family and inspite of the less than luscious lodgings we created a home where ever we were called. I have to say that although I was less than enthusiastic when I entered those assigned quarters on Rangeline, Shadybrook Drive, Steele Street, Northway Terrace, Brookwood Drive, East Seventh Street, Spring Lane and Broad, after a few Sundays, a few Christmases, and a few Easters our house was a home that continued to bless our family.

Oliver Wendell Holmes said, "Where we live is home. Home that our feet may leave but not our hearts."

I wish all of my friends the blessings of a warm home in which they find a safe haven, a warm nest, a peaceful domicile and the love of family.

3 comments:

  1. Love this--and am still giggling about the flocked wallpaper and the poodle statuary!

    The Holmes quote is so good--

    Glad you had a good time on your trip!!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I like the stained glass contact paper . . . nothing like a little atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have an award, you have an award...

    http://www.octamom.com/2008/08/and-oscar-goes-to.html

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

I am abundantly grateful for your comments!