Louis Pasteur (1822-1895)Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal: my strength lies solely in my tenacity.
John Quincy Adams
Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.
Frank Lloyd Wright
I know the price of success: dedication, hard work, and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen
I have recently been thinking about the quality of persistence...tenacity...perserverance. I have always thought it to be an exceptional quality. I have even prided myself in having some of it. Alot of it in some situations. Even tenacity without apology in many situations. I have been proud of this quality when I have coached a parent through the auditory verbal maze and their child has come out on top, ready for the world. I have had the same feelings when I have perservered through a personal "parenting" moment that maybe wasn't full of grace but proved my love for my children by my tenacity to not give up on my expectations that they could be better than they were.
Recently I have had some experiences where my tenacity was both criticized and applauded.
You see, it depends on the side you find yourself on. For one who is a "bull dog" in many passionate situations opinions can vary. If you are a "bull dog" for their cause you can be the "Best of Show" and be acclaimed for your tenacity. However, if you are a "bull dog" for a cause that is less popular, you can be the one to get the blue ribbon in the "Ugliest Dog Contest."
You are the same bull dog in all of those passionate situations...not quite as good as the "Best of Show" and not quite as bad as the "Ugliest Dog" but always somewhere in between.
I like these quotes from Pasteur, Adams and Wright. I am sure that Pasteur might have had days where he was the "ugliest dog" in the lab while wracking his brain in an experiment that would save us all.
Many love a "bull dog" to take to the trenches with them.
Many love a "bull dog" to help them with a project on a deadline.
Many love a "bull dog" to coach them through a tough match.
but....some want the "bull dog" to Sit....Lay down...and Heel when it gets messy, tough or sweaty.
I for one agree that there are probably more politically correct ways to be a bull dog and still get the job done, maybe a nicer way...a politer way...an appropriate way. But "bull dogs" by definition sometimes have to press on or we would not be "bull dogs".
I know I can learn many different ways to practice my tenacity. Maybe more acceptable ways to persist. Maybe with "practice" I to will continue to be a "bull dog" but earn a prize for at least "Best in Breed".
Go Bull Dogs!!!
Hmmmm...this reminds me of a situation...let's see, when was that? Oh, was it YESTERDAY?!?!
ReplyDeleteThis encourages me greatly to hang in there, to not let go of the high goals we have set. Persistance, persistance, persistance. Many thanks for a word in due season.
Hope the Shout works on the mystery stains!
Blessings!