Sunday, November 30, 2008

Got Balance?...Anyone?...Anyone?

My last post was Tuesday. I took a break from blogging. One reason was Thanksgiving. We spent some quality time with family. Yesterday we went to the movie Twilight. At first I did not want to see it. The real reason is that I did not want to be disappointed. I loved the relationship that was created between the lines of this beautiful novel and I did not want the reality of an onscreen movie to ruin it. Then I decided that I was approaching this movie experience like I have recently been approaching my blog.

This movie was not going to be perfect and neither is my ability to keep up with this blog that I have invested so much of my self and my time. It has certainly surpassed my expectations from that initial rant post to my weekly "sites" and my book reviews. I suddenly on Wednesday experienced a need to reassess. There was no warning really, I found I was asking myself some simple questions.

Why do I blog?
Do I have the right perspective?
Am I including this blog in my life with balance or is it taking too much time?
Am I enjoying myself?

So here are a few of my thoughts:
I think it is in my personality to put my whole heart into a project. I seem to go and go like the energizer bunny on a project. I sometimes wear people out with my enthusiasm. Then I guess I wear myself out.
I began the blog experience in the same way. I dove in! I enjoyed creating the design, learned the ropes, found people with all types of interests that inspired me. The fact is I did not just find a few, I found many. I would work very hard over the week to read each post and enjoyed commenting. And, just like my project enthusiasm I began to feel committed which for me means regular posts, regular reads, regular comments. I just don't do something halfway. I go all out and to a fault usually find myself in the place I am now. Reassessing the time and effort, the process and the balance of this project.
I do love blogging. I feel connected to those who read my posts and to those whose posts I read. I don't know how some bloggers do it! Even in the few months I have been blogging I have seen blogs grow. More people are reading blogs and many are doing so well. However, I know that with more giveaways, more blog nights, more posts, more carnivals also comes more time reading posts, more time commenting and more time writing the next post.
There in lies the problem for me....I am reassessing the balance of time & effort, value & meaning.
Has this happened to you? Even you seasoned bloggers? I don't know one blogger person that I read who doesn't make every effort to do the same thing I have been doing. Being a loyal blogger. Do you feel blogger regret when you can't get to everyone? When you haven't posted in two or three days?
I suppose each person approaches their blogging in the same way they live life. Carefree..Entrepreneurial...Journaler..Comic Relief..Rant..Easy Going...Structured. Three guesses how I approach it! Gotta get that right brain back in the game!

So there you have it...somewhat random thoughts on the question of how this Type A, Structured, over enthusiastic, loyal blogger can possibly keep her blog in perspective and continue to love it! Any thoughts?

Abundance is...having the courage to assess our balance.

This is what Bloggers Look Like When We Have Writer’s Block

25 comments:

  1. I'm very much with you on the bloggy regret for not commenting and not posting...I found myself spending way too much time blogging and have been trying to cut back. Like everything else, it's a process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can completely relate also! I enjoy blogging very much - and that includes writing posts, replying to comments, and commenting on other sites. There is a real connectedness, which I wasn't expecting when I started out. And yet, that's one of the big reasons I keep at it. And because of that, I do feel regret when I can't get to everywhere I want to. At first, it was easy - when I had fewer things in my reader. Now...it feels like some days it could consume me completely. Balance...yes - how to find that in our lives. Today, I took some time and played in the snow with my younger son, then watched some football with my older son. Yesterday, I spent time watching my daughter play basketball. All of these remind me that balance IS important. Now...how to get there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gosh.

    welcome to my world!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read many posts similar to this over the past few months. Good for you to put it in perspective. For me personally, I blog to keep friends and family updated on our nest. I also like that it is somewhat of a journal for me. Meeting wonderful people like you is just a bonus. I really don't follow all that many blogs, and I don't comment every time I read. I try to comment at least once a week. That is balance for me.

    Hope you can work it all out. I always do enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started out blogging because I wanted to stay connected to family and friends, have a place to remember and journal, and have an outlet for writing. In the beginning I was a lot less busy than I am now in my life, and I felt like blogging was my job. Now that I have multiple other things to do in real life, I have to look at blogging as a way to wind down, relax, and connect to others. When I start to feel guilty about not posting for a week, or not getting to everyone else's blogs, I have to remind myself that blogging is not my entire life. Plus, There HAS to be a balance, like you said!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGOODNESS, that is a hilarious comic!

    I can relate 100%. I was just talking to my sister about finding balance with blogging. So here's what I do (although by no means do I have it down yet, this is what I am working on.)

    Sunday afternoon I post on discursivelyhappy for the entire week. Schedule my entire week. That way it is done, and it takes maybe an hour.

    Throughout the week I work on Steals and Deals with my sister, it takes much more time. And randomly I comment on others.

    But I agree I jump into things and burn myself out quickly, have to step back, reevaluate, and start over.

    If you get this balance thing figured out, post or email me! Love to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can relate...I have been feeling guilt lately for not checking in constantly, not making sure I haven't missed anyone - responding to each and every person who comments to me. I was thinking the other day that my virtual social life was more involved and intense the my real social life.

    I have recently realized myself that I too need to find balance, not let this part of my life take over all the others...as hard as that is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Balance...now that's a novel idea...

    ;o)

    For me, right now, blogging is a well-loved creative outlet and a happy discipline. While I do sometimes have some blog guilt (too much/too little), the romance is still very much alive for me...

    But I can also see that it has to be a part of things, not the thing. Hopefully I'm hitting that stride...

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Balance...now that's a novel idea...

    ;o)

    For me, right now, blogging is a well-loved creative outlet and a happy discipline. While I do sometimes have some blog guilt (too much/too little), the romance is still very much alive for me...

    But I can also see that it has to be a part of things, not the thing. Hopefully I'm hitting that stride...

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hugs! My last week post (the last one I've published was feeling the same thing!). But you put it a lot more eloquently.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Balance... or achieving balance is something I strive for ALL the time, and I constantly feel like I'm not anywhere near meeting that goal. I enjoy blogging and reading and commenting, but I think at times that it takes too much of my already restricted time that is taken by my roles as mom, wife, and teacher.

    Although I am totally impressed with bloggers who post every day, I know that I can't do that, nor do I have enough to say each day (at least worth reading about!). So, I wait until the muse strikes. Sometimes, I go for days without an idea, but when an idea comes to me, I have fun creating the words and images to go with it.

    So, from one Type A to another, I suggest you do what feels right to YOU!

    Roban

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally understand your questioning yourself and the intentions of the blogging. It does take on a life of its own. For me, it's a little easier because it's mostly recipes so I don't feel too much pressure to come up with content, however, it is time consuming & fattening. I have gained weight since more than a few people started reading. Hah. But today is a start of more balance for me. I hope you find yours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you read my mind this morning? I posted (then deleted) a post called blogger's block earlier today. I was chicken to keep it up thinking that I was being "lame." I was thinking about my blog last night...it's kind of like my own little company and I can't take a vacation from it. I put this pressure on myself to make it the best blog ever! I have very high expectations for myself. It's totally crazy. The cartoon is hilarious...that was me this morning! Glad to know I am not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am sooo right there with you especially after being featured on SITS last Monday. I have felt sooo bad that I haven't gotten back to everyone who left a comment. Heck, I haven't even had time to do my usual posting let alone comment on my normal readers such as yourself. Yes, I've felt guilty. Horribly so! I just have to tell myself that my real life such as family come first and I will never feel guilty or bad about that. If/when I put my blog ahead of them then my priorities are seriously needing some reevaluation. Write when you can about what you want. We'll be here and will be thrilled to see what you've been up to.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like to blog at least once a week. There was a time when I didn't have much to say and figured...If you don't have anything nice to say...you know the rest. I try to only blog when I have something relevant to others in my blog circle. If I don't, there shouldn't be any regret. So AVT if you don't feel like doing it and you do it anyway, where is the fun in that. I catch up with my commenting when I have time and don't feel guilty if I don't have anything to say on someone's blog after reading it. When it is no longer fun...quit. That is my philosophy. I have a JOB that I get paid to do...this is supposed to be FUN.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i hear ya! i have these same thoughts regularly. i haven't totally found the balance yet. however, i am getting better at just not getting overwhelmed when my reader is in the triple digits and i have no time. i just dump it. i expect everyone else that reads me to do the same. i seem to go through times when i get tons of comments and then a post that will get three. people get busy. i get that. i need to go back to why i started blogging all the time...to journal about my family. i have to say no when someone asks me to host a giveaway for their product. i am limiting myself to hosting one giveaway a week. IF it is a good week to do it.

    just blog when you want to. don't fel like you HAVE to keep up your "regular posts".

    and know i will be by to leave a little love whenever i can.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I start to feel that way on occasion. Mainly when I am being a "pseudo-single parent"....I don't feel like I can get anything done.

    Hope things settle down soon....

    ReplyDelete
  18. You certainly have put 'the cat among the pigeons' with this post.

    Reading the comments above so many of us don't have balance in our lives when it comes to blogging.

    I totally 'get' where you are at.

    My addiction to blogging is not healthy and I will reevaluate the time I spend blogging and hopefully find the right balance.

    I love everything about blogging, I just don't want it to take over my life.

    Bless you Coach....where there's a will, there's a way.

    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  19. i agree with you...i blog for the fun and if it's not fun, i'm totally not doing it! i also like to dive in head first...and i do...but my fam comes first. so, i set up a specific time to blog...and what gets done, gets done. it's had, but honestly, it's part of assessing your balance!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm with you -- I tend to put everything into all that I do. I fell off my chair when I saw the comic at the bottom of the post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I completely agree. I had a stint there where I didn't post for about four days and while I did feel that something was missing, it was a great break.

    I feel SO guilty for not getting back to people who comment on my posts, but that's kind of silly because I don't hold it against anyone who doesn't get back to me! Just that extra pressure we put on ourselves I guess.

    Post when you want to post and don't worry about getting to everyone elses blog to read - people are busy, we get that...at least I sure do!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes - balance
    that is why I am on a bloggy break
    and I am not alone
    My cup 2 yours and storytellin mamma are on a break too

    but I still have to read my favorites - just not publishing my own for a spell is a good breather

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hope you find your balance, it is so important to have. I feel unconnected if I don't post - so I always make sure I do. Its also one of the only things that I do for me, so I try to make the time to do it. I totally feel guilty if I can't get back to each and every person who does comment. Even if it takes me a few days I try to keep track and show some bloggy love. There is an element of pressure though. Ha! And seeing as how it is almost midnight, I better get to bed and maintain some balance. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm convinced that the blogging balance is almost impossible to achieve.

    I feel guilty a lot for not getting back to others that have supported me.

    I've been posting way less, but what I do post is all that I can manage these days. I've been busier than ever.

    I much prefer quality over quantity though, and you do that so well, so I'll look forward to your great posts when you have the time!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Been there... am there... live there. I sometimes can't sleep when I know I am behind on replying to comments! I consider regularly stopping because it does consume so much time. But then I read something and think "oh yeah... that's why I'm still here".
    I just read through 5 of your posts thinking I'd come back later and comment when the kids weren't destroying the house (Ky just spilled my mop water on the carpeted stairs), but we know I won't ever have that time. So I am here. I enjoy your "abundance" posts and hope you don't give up completely!!

    ReplyDelete

I am abundantly grateful for your comments!