I did not post about the election this year but I have been thinking about those two precious Obama girls and how their lives are about to drastically change. It is one thing to be the First daughters of the state of Illinois and another to be the First daughters of the United States.
Now I did not take this photo so I have already broken one of Angie's rules (probably) but it has been a while since I was in Washington D.C. I wanted to post about being a kid in the White House and People.Com beat me to it!!!
Well I was thinking what kind of fun the girls would have roaming around that big mansion. I did some checking and here is what I found out on The White House website: "There are 132 rooms, 35 bathrooms, and 6 levels in the Residence. There are also 412 doors, 147 windows, 28 fireplaces, 8 staircases, and 3 elevators." Now that is some playhouse!! Also, "there five full-time chefs, and the White House kitchen is able to serve dinner to as many as 140 guests and hors d'oeuvres to more than 1,000." People.com said it first, but I was thinking about those birthday cakes and tea parties for their friends. And, what about those sleep overs!! I hope they will still have macaroni and cheese and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.The girls will have plenty of recreational opportunities. "White House has a variety of facilities available to its residents, including a tennis court, jogging track, swimming pool, movie theater, and bowling lane."
With two sweet girls in the White House this generation of children will learn so much about our United States government. They will grow up feeling like they have something in common with a Presidential family that is usually living way beyond that which we can only imagine. I have a feeling that the Obama children's peers will have fun learning more about their president.
Just for fun, if your children are interested in learning more about the presidents and the White House, they can find it at White House Kids website. There is a version right now all about the presidency and specifically George Bush but I bet by January the site will be overhauled and Obama will be front and center. Take a look at the games, quizzes, photos and fun facts at this site.
And for you who are interested in more detail about the White House I have found a site that has a Virtual Tour. See photos and learn more about all of those rooms.
And last but not least I cannot think about the White House without thinking about one of my favorite movies, "The American President". I especially like the romantic but awkward scene in "the dish room". If you haven't seen it in a while or ever, first check out your cable movie channel, it's on all of the time or rent this movie for a great romantic and presidential story! There are so many great lines in that movie!!
Well, that's it for my take on any political topic. That is as political as this blog will ever get. I will be saying a prayer for those two little Obama girls that their parents are able to find a balance. That they are able to lead the country without losing their lead on raising those children. That those children can enjoy their childhood in a world where their dad has some tough issues to face and that they will live their lives with an abundance of love and joy!
Abundance is...getting a new puppy!

Those girls are going to have the time of their lives. I vaguely remember Amy Carter, she was a bit older but still a young girl in the White House. Somehow she never really looked like she was having fun.
ReplyDeleteI never really thought about it that way...they'll never have to fight over the bathroom!! I hope they still have fun, I hope they are still able to run around and be little girls, regardless of where they are living!!!
ReplyDeleteI am in awe of those numbers. 35 bathrooms?! That is a lot of toilet cleaning time!
ReplyDeleteHow Cool. Thanks so much for posting this. I just clicked on the Whitehouse kid's page. What a great home school lesson for today.
ReplyDeleteI hope that the girls can have a wonderful time. What an amazing experience. I definitely think it will help them that there's two of them--they'll keep each other company. I also admire the parenting skills and priorities of the Obama's. I think they'll really watch out for the girls.
ReplyDeleteA big change indeed!!
ReplyDeleteThat's funny - I kept thinking about those girls the whole night too. Can you imagine having a sleep over in the white house?? LOL.
ReplyDeletefyi - you'll have an award over at my place tomorrow. :-)
412 doors! I wonder how many cleaning staff they have! Great post and so interesting...I will get my kids on that site about the white house. I can't wait for January and a new beginning...
ReplyDeletePretty cool things to know there. I never really thought about the kids. And I loved that movie too!!!! Their connection was awesome!
ReplyDeleteI'd love to just go in and tour the White House...actually, I'd love to go to DC period...one of those "places to see" on my list!!
ReplyDeletemy husband and I were actually talking about what a change we (the nation's people) will see with 2 small girls in the white house coming up! I'm excited!!!!
ReplyDeleteLove your new header!
Fun to think about. :)
ReplyDeleteJust stopping by to say hi and thanks for the sweet comment!
I was thinking of this the other day! And, I didn't take my picture today either. I'm glad I'm not the only one. :)
ReplyDeleteI didn't notice you on Mr. LINKY?
I didn't know of that website, white house kids, I will have to "encourage" my boys to check that out!
ReplyDeleteI had the hardest time getting here today, I was clicking on your link and it took me to your profile and there was no blog to click on. I outsmarted blogger though :-)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you posted this-- I do hope those little girls have nothing but great memories in the White House.
I'll join you in the prayers for the "First Girls."
ReplyDeleteI'm ashamed that I didn't know this much info. on the white house. Thanks for doing this post. There is so much about US History that I forget and places that I have never visited. Neat idea thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteNice post
ReplyDeletevery thoughtful
yes, I loved the movie an american president also
Those babies are going to grow up like UK Princesses. I hope they get the protection in their youth that UK Princesses get. Leave them out of the news, news papers and magazines. Let them be KIDS. Its going to be an adventure for them yes, but it's going to be hard at times too. I wish the whole family the best of luck and the strength to face all their challenges together.
ReplyDeleteThis was a fabulous post as usual. :o) I wish them nothing but the best and plenty of amazing times being a child in the White House. Think about those tea parties - OH MY!
ReplyDeleteI have something for you over at my blog - I'll be posting in a few minutes. :o)
i had no idea the white house was that big--cool info.
ReplyDeletemy heart does go out to little sasha and malia. the media gave chelsea clinton such a hard time, and i hope the obama girls are granted the privacy to be children.
great post!
How fun it would be to roam around the white house! I too hope the media treat the obama girls well.
ReplyDeleteThat is too fun! I keep coming across articles about what life will be like for these girls in that big house!! I can only imagine the stories they will have!
ReplyDelete