Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Toys Actually Worth Buying






Today I am participating in two Wednesday carnivals! Both are so fun and both have amazing hosts. Seven Clown Circus hosts Wordful Wednesday and Rocks In My Dryer a fellow Oklahoma blogger hosts Works-For-Me-Wednesday. This week the theme is "Toys Actually Worth Buying".

My favorite toys are those that have a variety of ways to play with them. I really like the Fisher Price Little People toy sets. They are very versatile. I especially like the School Bus and the Playground. The little people are all dressed in different clothing, come in different nationalities and have different objects in their hands. These can be used for following complex commands, "The boy with the backpack wants to slide next." for inferencing, "Do you want the girl holding the toy that cries and wets or the boy with the green amphibian in his pocket?" or for prepositions, "The girl with the balloon is under the slide". The children can swing, ride the merry-go-round, climb the ladder, play in the sandbox, slide down, and play tic-tac-toe. I usually have the little people stand in lines waiting for their friends to take a turn. We talk about the ones that are first, second, third or last in line. Children can learn descriptors for the little people such as hair color, clothing + color, short, long, curly, or straight hair, and with or without a bow or headband.




I like these toys because they can be used with little ones who just want to put the people in and out of the bus (while singing "Wheels on the bus") or at a higher level they can pretend play by having the children play together and create real dialogue. What a wonderful way to act out social conversations that might occur on a real school playground.



I buy many of my toys on ebay. You can buy toys that are no longer the "best sellers" available in the stores. Also, I like to stock up on extra "Little People". You can usually find them in lots separate from the original toy. I have about 30 of the Little People so I can interchange them to keep play interesting. I like that the little people of different nationalities can play together. I usually add other pretend play toys to the mix such as a bowl for a swimming pool, little bits of cloth for the beach towel, a toy crate with a little dog, and some play food, maybe even some velveta. Everyone gets on the bus to ride to the playground. Who will want to play on the merry-go-round, and who will play tic-tac-toe? Who will play together? Who will bring their pet to the park? The play is endless and so different each time you play depending on your props.
If adults play along with their children the vocabulary and complexity of language will soar!!

Abundance is...learning life lessons through pretend play.

36 comments:

  1. I'm a mom to five and have NEVER thought to ask such information questions of my children as they play with their little people. Thank you so much for the great ideas.......like being hit in the head with a 4X4 but it a good way. The light came on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we're big fans of little people around these parts too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness when I come here that once in a while I actually do something you're suggesting. Hah. But Angie is right, it's like a good 4x4. Ha ha. I do believe in the pretend play. We started doing that awhile back so in the morning when I drop the little guy to school I tell him to think about what he'd like us to play that evening and who we'll pretend to be. He never forgets and it holds me accountable to follow through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WE love Little People - well we used to anyway - we sold them all off at a garage sale when baby girl was a newborn. She never had a chance to "play" with them!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love little people here too. They even have some great books (we have the zoo book - its great!!). I wasn't even thinking about little people for christmas, but I just might. As a side note - I love the fact that the people are a toy the my toddler loves, but are big and solid enough to be safe in the babies hands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These little people are too cute! We get a lot of use out of ours. Ryder is all about pretending right now and it is so.much.fun. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heart the Little People and those older Weeble People too.

    For a class unit on My Community, my SPED class once built their own little cities using fabric scraps, milk cartons, paper towel tubes, all kinds of things. Those would be nifty with the Fisher Price people...and would tie in nicely with a unit on Recycling materials. :) Check out thrift stores too. Sometimes you'll find a bunch of barely used toys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. fabulous post. since i work in education...specifically early childhood education things like this are practically second nature to me. it is just how my brain is wired. it is something a lot of people never think about so i am glad you posted it on your blog.

    we can learn so much from children. thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved little people toys and so did my kids...they are wonderful and really get the imagination going...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, yes. The Fisher Price people--how many hours have you and I spent with 4 of 8 in years past talking with the FP people, having her describe the FP people, using all the fashion accessories permanently bonded on the FP people to have 4 of 8 use bigger words---ahhh, the FP people--I always think of you when I see them!!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a HUGE fan of Little People and open ended toys....I LOVE your questions!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously!! This post rocks!
    We love Little People around here they are perfect for those little chubby hands and we have the same bus! It is well loved everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok this doesn't have to do with your post but ... I love your description of "creating a life of possiblities, inspiration, hope and abundant living" ... I'm with ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE LOVE LOVE the little people. great ideas to mix it up and get the kids thinking and talking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that Little People should be a staple in every child's toy box:-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What great ideas! I remember being envious of my girlfriends that had little people.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great insight, we love the little people at our place too! Hours of fun have occured due to these little bundles of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I already had little people on the list for Christmas, but now I know what to do with them once he gets them. I love your posts that help me interact and help him develop.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I remember playing for HOURS with my little people and playhouses. They were a bit different than these...but they still held all the fantasy qualities these do.

    My kids are all teens now....but they played with their's too.

    Purty blog!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Little People but for some reason my kids never got into them? I just don't get it? They are so much fun and cute... O well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Little People. They are some of the best toys that we have. And I love your ideas of play with them. I will definitely incorporate these things in our play! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. We love Little People too! We started a major collection when Izzy was even too young to care. Now both girls play with them all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your ideas on playing - and I'm looking forward to building up some collections when we get a chance to go garage sale/thrift store shopping in the US soon - I love little people!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great play ideas! Little People are so photogenic! Some day I'll have to photograph the OLD Little People I still have from when my neighborhood friends and I used to make whole towns of them. We played for hours nearly every day over several summers and never got tired of them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ah Little People! My youngest thrived on them. She has, by far, the most active imagination of my kids.
    By the way, thanks for the heads up on the new Peanuts cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My favorite toys that are bought for the grandchildren are ones that Nanaw can play with too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. As always, thanks for the awesome links. That poem on seven circus - very memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  28. My oldest son loved little people and all the animals especially... the zoo and train were favorites. My kids love to play with the little people in the summer in the water table too!!

    Great ideas for stimulating pretend play!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Again, your teaching methods and insight are refreshing. I will remember these Little People when it's time to teach my daughter sentence structure and maybe even some roll play. Thanks so much! Can you just come and be here teacher? That would be the best option of them all!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I totally need to get some little people for my little people.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just checking to make sure you receive an email from me with your ornament swap partner's info. If you received it no need to reply - just let me know if you didn't. Check your spam filter too! : )

    Julie from Abbilyeverafter.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love them! I often pick them up at Thrift shops or Yard sales.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I LOVE Little People - in fact, I think our toyroom has been overtaken by them! My hubby says NO MORE, but really - they cultivate imaginations!

    ReplyDelete
  34. That's kinda funny to me because I sold all of our Little People because no one would play with them! I loved them and would ask for them for the kids' gifts, but they went untouched for several years. Finally, I had to clean them out. I thought about bringing them to work, but when I tried the kids there didn't want to play with them either!

    ReplyDelete

I am abundantly grateful for your comments!