Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek
I commute about 20 miles to work so every day I am on the highway. Not long ago I spotted a really small car pulling a really big trailer. The car was chugging down the road, in the right lane thank goodness, but I remember thinking "I would never do that, pull a big trailer with my small car!" I remember looking with rolling eyes at that car and how slowly he was going to have to go to avoid an engine burnout! I am sure he was on that road for good reason but it led me to think about all of the crazy excess baggage we pull around with us every day.The baggage I carry around is definitely lighter now than it used to be, it has taken some practice. However, there are days when I borrow stuff from others to put in my own bag. I am wondering how full is your load and is it bigger than you are?
In 2003 I took my oldest daughter to Europe for 10 days. We planned for months for that trip and we read all of the travel guides. I just could not bring myself to pack as light as Rick Steves of PBS fame suggested. Even with all of my efforts, my suitcase was still too heavy. Why did I have to take that third pair of shoes that I never wore? Why did I have to take that extra sweater? I had trouble keeping it light because I thought I might need it in an emergency. I did not want to be without.
I think that is the way with many of us. We carry around our old baggage of hurts and disappointments, or worries and needs like a big duffel bag on our shoulders. Really all it does is weigh us down. The road down life's path is certainly slower and more labored with that baggage. Somehow I need to find a way to let go of the load each day.
A good friend once told me to intentionally close up my day planner at the end of the day to symbolize letting it go knowing that tomorrow is a new day and it can be opened again. That same friend gave me this good advice. When I am shopping, think about shopping. When I am meeting with a patient, only think about that patient, when I am talking to a daughter, only think about her. You get the idea. If we are only focused on what is at hand we can't possibly be clouding our minds with our baggage. If we have too much baggage, we cannot be as encouraging to others. If we have too much baggage our children learn from us to carry their own heavy load. What do we want others to see in us? A beast of burden hanging over our shoulders or to see the light that shines in front of our path?
Maybe you have some strategies that help you let go of your baggage so you don't have to drag it around all day. I'd like to hear your thoughts!
(Photo from American-Flex.com via Google)
I think that is the way with many of us. We carry around our old baggage of hurts and disappointments, or worries and needs like a big duffel bag on our shoulders. Really all it does is weigh us down. The road down life's path is certainly slower and more labored with that baggage. Somehow I need to find a way to let go of the load each day.
A good friend once told me to intentionally close up my day planner at the end of the day to symbolize letting it go knowing that tomorrow is a new day and it can be opened again. That same friend gave me this good advice. When I am shopping, think about shopping. When I am meeting with a patient, only think about that patient, when I am talking to a daughter, only think about her. You get the idea. If we are only focused on what is at hand we can't possibly be clouding our minds with our baggage. If we have too much baggage, we cannot be as encouraging to others. If we have too much baggage our children learn from us to carry their own heavy load. What do we want others to see in us? A beast of burden hanging over our shoulders or to see the light that shines in front of our path?
Maybe you have some strategies that help you let go of your baggage so you don't have to drag it around all day. I'd like to hear your thoughts!
(Photo from American-Flex.com via Google)
Abundance is...letting go of the old stuffed baggage and carrying a "light" instead.
Our Bible study talked about this topic specifically. I'm starting to think you are much closer than I know. Hehehe. Who among us doesn't have baggage on our shoulders, back etc? I am trying to work on this in my own life as the past is the past. All I can work on is changing the future and how I react to it. Thanks for this reminder today.
ReplyDeleteI use to be one who carried wayyy more than I can handle. Today, I strive to float lightly (when I can). I found meditating to be a saving grace for me. Visualization is also another big plus in my world.
ReplyDeleteGreat Post!
Great thoughts!
ReplyDeleteI think we all carry around more than we need to! That car looks so silly and I'm sure if we could see what we are all carrying then we would think it looks silly too and get rid of it!
You have a wise friend and you are wise too. Thanks for reminding me to keep working on being present every moment.
ReplyDeleteThat picture is a perfect image of your story here. You're absolutely right about baggage. I've always likened it to preparing for a long, steep hike, and then filling your backpack with rocks.
ReplyDeleteThere are some things that are easier to control than other, and one of those is how we react to actions of others. I don't have all of the answers, but I decided long ago, that everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt. Very few people intentionally set out to offend. Offense is unnecessary baggage.
This is something I am not good at at all, but need to work on daily. Thank you for the well-needed reminder!
ReplyDeleteI love this post and it is something that I needed to hear tonight. I love the thought of people seeing the light that shines in front of our path...Thanks for the good thoughts tonight.
ReplyDeleteI passed on my Brilliante Blog Award today! :o)
Love this post, again.
ReplyDeleteI handle my "baggage" with a lot of prayer. That's my best solution! ; )
ReplyDeleteVery lovely post...
Thanks, I needed that!
ReplyDeleteIn a couple of weeks my 2nd year of studying philosophy concludes for the year and the last few weeks we have been taught to start each new action from stillness and end the action in stillness. The cycle is then complete and we have surrendered that particular action from our thoughts so we are not carrying that baggage with us.
ReplyDeleteI also begin the day by meditating for 15 minutes. This discipline allows me to clear my mind and focus only on the day ahead.
One thing I haven't mastered though is how pack for an overseas trip....one day I hope not to put in that extra pair of shoes or that extra sweater...I live in hope!!!
As always Coach this is an excellent post. I particularly liked the analogy....'A beast of burden hanging over our shoulders or to see the light that shines in front of our path'?
Also if you have a spare moment I have added some Simon & Garfunkel songs to my playlist for our enjoyment.
Take care
Peggy
Shutting the planner at the end of the day is so worth it. I do something very similiar too. Just have time with the hubby, shut the laptop :), and relax. (A spa day doesn't hurt anything....:-).
ReplyDeleteI always love your posts! You give me great stuff to think about. I think I need to evaluate my baggage. Perhaps it isn't fitting in the overhead bin!
ReplyDeleteThis life is discovering who we are amongst the chaos and the change. It is sheer bliss that sometimes smarts. And one of the greatest joys of it all is the love we give and get back. Falling in love, watching my children grow and learning so much through them, reaching forward while hauling along the past and watching bits of it fly off in shards and chunks as I go. The freedom of seeing it fly away and how light I feel. Discovering where I want to go, and how I can get there with my family and friends tethered faithfully to my side. Learning to let go. To move on. To trust or not to trust and learning that this is okay. To protect myself and demand the best for my own life and that of my family.
ReplyDeleteMy huge baggage right now is I spend 40 hours working for a company under poor management & the 3 ring circus has nothing on this place. It's been 3 years but the pay is amazing. So to lighten that baggage I have become emotionally detached. That's unlike me, I usually invest 100% into a place but I just can't anymore. It's only a matter of time when I leave but until then, it's no caring and I leave the job at 5 on the dot and at the door.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Wonderful thought proviking post as usual. I can fill the tummies while you fill our minds, how's that?
ReplyDeleteThis is truly such a beautiful observation (literally and figuratively). Kudos to you!!
ReplyDeleteThat is a GREAT reminder! Just what I needed to read today, thanks.
ReplyDeleteOh and that little car pulling a trailer-- they are all over around here. Amazing.
Excellence in a post! Thanks, I think we all need this reminder.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great thought provoking post!
ReplyDeleteSomething to think about as we round the corner to family time.
Good ideas! I don't have ANY :(
ReplyDeleteThis post really made me think. I enjoyed it so much!
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking I must have a strategy.......now what is it? :)
Did you see that Octamom's name was revealed today? I was shocked. :)
this is my first visit to your blog and I adore the notion of letting go of the baggage in exchange for the light.
ReplyDeleteno matter to whom one prays.
I see so many of my relatives/familymembers clinging to their baggage and it is NOT how I want to role model for my daughter.
thanks for the reminder.
My baggage is pretty heavy, and it's really silly because I am piling in things each day that I just shouldn't worry about!
ReplyDeleteI unwind and usually let things go on my drive from work. I look forward to seeing my daughter, which instantly puts a smile on my face. But it's still a struggle at times to just let things go and just be in the moment.
I liked the idea to focus on each person at that time. That helps!
Roban
oh AVT coach
ReplyDeleteI loved loved this post. Fantastic thoughts and insights.
I have improved in packing lighter for trips over the years and am still learning not to carry around my worries into my days.
yes worrying about yesterday and planning for tomorrow will steal away the present! Today is a gift that is why it is called the present.
great post
Great post! I definitely think that most of us are carrying more than we need to. I think it goes with today's world.
ReplyDeleteI always take TOO much stuff. I too hate to think I might need it and not have it! LOL!
ReplyDeleteAh, yes, baggage---our moves over the last few years have certainly taught me a lot about the stuff I have been dragging around, both physically and emotionally. I certainly want to walk with a light step...
ReplyDeleteBlessings!