Saturday, November 8, 2008

My name is Avtcoach, and I am an Auditory-Verbal Therapist.

When I began this blog I was unsure of it's purpose. Will it be professional or personal? What do I want to say and to whom?

I realized that my purpose was truly for me to live life abundantly every day and to post on the meaning of how that gets achieved for me. Avtcoach seemed to be a good name and perhaps I would occasionally feel like posting on topics related to the profession that is my passion.

Well, I have had some ask me what Avtcoach means. I am ready to post about what I do and how this is a vocation for me, a mission that allows me to serve.

I am an auditory-verbal therapist. I teach deaf/hearing-impaired babies to listen and talk. My degree is in speech-language pathology. With the miracle of technology we can now screen the hearing of newborns, diagnose early, and fit hearing aids as early as 2 weeks. Children with severe to profound deafness, who have little access to speech even with their hearing aids, can receive a cochlear implant by 12 months and have access to all speech frequencies and learn spoken language.

An auditory verbal therapist coaches parents in individual therapy with their child to use strategies that foster development of spoken language using primarily audition. Our outcomes for children who are identified and amplified early and who have a commitment to weekly therapy are amazing. Our children are often ready for the regular classroom by Pre-K and can be educated with their typical peers.

My vocation is not without critics. Although there is sound research on brain development, listening with a cochlear implant (and two), and the effects of speech and language development with early amplification, there are many professionals who believe that more is better and that the use of sign language with an oral communication approach can achieve the same results. It is for this reason that I have resisted using this personal blog as a format for sharing my story.

What I do know is that I enjoy sharing my love of language with others and my Tuesday Tales post gives me that opportunity. As many of my readers have shared, the ideas are so practical for all children. Parents of young children what to have strategies that raise the bar for their child's development.

The nice thing about the blog community is that people with like interests can gather and share. I have read and deeply respect the blog groups of parents with children with hearing loss regardless of their chosen communication method. These parents have so much to share with professionals and each other. We need to hear their stories, their challenges and support their victories.

My heart however is with the auditory-verbal approach. I say without apology that I am in awe each day with what my families achieve. This week I heard one of my little guys who has had a cochlear implant for one year say "ball" (not bah) with the most amazing clarity! He then said "ball mama" spontaneously requesting that she pick up the ball he had thrown. He fed the cat on command choosing from three animals in front of him. He said moo, woof-woof, meow and quack-quack during play. This young boy with a year of hearing and language under his belt will continue to soar. He will learn language more quickly in this next two years and he will be having conversations with his peers by the time he is four. That is what I am spending my career helping the families achieve.

I cannot spend time and energy defending my position, nor do I want to. I leave that for other blogs and communities. What I do know is that I have the most amazing job in the world. I get to hear children say "mama" for the first time and I get to be there when a child hears a parent say "I love you" for the first time. It never gets old and that is why I feel so compassionate about creating a life of abundance and gratitude for what we have. Not materially, but for our senses and how we use them, for our gifts and how we share them and for a profound need for a persevering spirit.

So, Avtcoach is a symbol of not just what I do but of a life I have chosen. It is more than a job. It is a passion. It is the work that God has led me to and I am so thankful. This is still a personal blog, but maybe after today I can begin to think about how I can share this miracle more often.

Abundance is....working in a profession you are passionate about.

For more information about Auditory-Verbal Therapy visit this website: http://www.agbellacademy.org/

24 comments:

  1. *bows deeply*
    WOW the work you do. I knew AVT referred to your chosen path but not what that path entailed! So interesting to know more of what you do.
    And how rewarding it must be for you ot hear your results :)
    I am striving to become a teacher, having been a soldier, mother and home maker...i am now on the path that is right for me and i really hope i love it as much as you love yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, really interesting. Thanks for sharing. I love your Tuesday Tales. You're right a lot of your information applies to families/children without a hearing issue as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, it's early here in Korea, but I had to comment. Your post made me cry! And speaking from experience when I say, you are not just a AVT, you are the BEST AVT coach around and loved so very, very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome task it is that you've been called to do. I can't imagine how rewarding it must be to see (and hear) the results of all that hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy the mix of profession/personal so far, and look forward to whatever direction you choose to steer your blog. It's yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great vocation! I considered Speech Pathology, but just a little too late and too far into my program to consider switching majors. I don't think you should have to defend your stand on your blog - it's your blog. And however these children are helped, it is a blessing to them and their families. I'm sure that each family has to decide what is the best approach for their child, and I'm sure it's not an easy road either way. I can't wait to hear more about your struggles and success, and would love to hear some tips and techniques that work. (My 4 yo boy goes to a public pre-school for speech, and still has more work to do - I assume, because strangers always turn to me for translation. LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great great post, reminds me of my one month post. Just like you, I love my job and it is very rewarding to help empower parents to help their children. Speech pathology is a great career and my sister and niece have followed me into the field. My sister works with adults in stroke rehab and my niece is in graduate school. Great Post ! yeah speechies

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing career. I can't imagine how gratifying it must be for you. And I am glad to know what AVT Coach means now (I was wondering myself).

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are such a blessing to so many people. i feel blessed to read from you and to have your support on my own blog. you are a doll! i am so impressed by you and what you have chosen to do with the gifts that God has given you!

    let your light shine!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I began blogging I had no idea what purpose/direction/road it would lead me to/along.
    All I knew at the time was I wanted to be a part of the blog community.

    Reading your post today I am so pleased you have come to the realisation that what you have to say is extremely important and very beneficial to many people.

    You have a captive audience and a wonderful opportunity to impart your knowledge that will benefit so many.

    I therefore look forward, as always, to your next post and the one after that etc etc etc....

    Sincerely, one of your fans!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in awe of your passion. I am so glad that you posted this in the way you did. Obviously, everyone has their opinions, but I just love that you feel so called and so passionate about what you do. That is the greatest gift you can give your tiny "clients" and especially their parents!

    It brings me to tears that you treasure the miracles that you get to wittness. Hearing my own kids say "mama" for the first time, I know what a blessing it is! How lucky you are to be a part of that over and over again.

    Thank you for sharing this. I respect you even more than I already did. It is refreshing to see someone so passionate!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bravo to you for putting such passion into your vocation. What lucky students and families! I know from teaching Special Education for 3 years that there is nothing as heartwarming as watching those little ones succeed and exceed! Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love you definition of abundance...that being said...we don't really enjoy what we are doing! But, you have given us the prompt to do something about it! I love that you feel passionate about what you are doing and I can understand why!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for explaining! I was wondering for a while what AVT stood for. That's great that you get to do what you love!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing this part of your life with us. I love and admire what you do. Working in therapy myself (PTA) I can relate to the special connection that you have with your patients. God has opened the door for you and has blessed your path as you help those in need every day. What I love even more is that you take the time to pour yourself out there to us and it helps us in ways that you may never see. Your a great coach in many ways and I appreciate your obedience to your personal call.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so grateful to have read this. I SO love your passion for what you do! There is no other way to live.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad that you decided to talk about this in more detail. I LOVED this part, "Avtcoach is a symbol of not just what I do but of a life I have chosen. It is more than a job. It is a passion. It is the work that God has led me to and I am so thankful. This is still a personal blog, but maybe after today I can begin to think about how I can share this miracle more often.

    Abundance is....working in a profession you are passionate about."

    I can tell that the children and their families that you work with are so blessed. So blessed. I just looked at your awards and saw that Octamom is a real world friend. I didn't realize that you knew each other in real life (is that a correct assumption?) and it struck me how neat that is. I remember one of the first posts I read of hers about her child with hearing loss and how it touched me. I'm thinking now that you were involved?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for that! I love hearing what you do and how passionate you are about it! There is nothing better than loving your job, and very few people actually do.

    ReplyDelete
  19. THat's nice to know. My mom is deaf, and I have a slight hearing loss - growing all the time. I hate it....

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think it is wonderful what you do, but I have a question on your view of many hearing impaired adults who view their impairment more as a culture than a disability that needs fixing. I often question their decision to allow their child to remain in a silent world when it has been determined that a he/she would benefit from a cochlear implant.

    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I totally wondered about what the AVT meant. It never occurred to me that it was a type of SLP. Did you ever see my posts on my little girl with the (fairly new) hearing aids and her FM system? I'd love to get your feedback. I am presently trying to get my 3 year old daughter into a preschool class for the deaf and hard of hearing. She would be the "peer model". What are your thoughts on that? Love it! My desired profession for YEARS was to be a teacher for the deaf and hard of hearing. years! You got to live my dream!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Of course, you know how I adore you and how your calling as an avt has changed our lives. So thrilled to see you telling our blog world about your incredible profession and how you coach and inspire--

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

I am abundantly grateful for your comments!