On my list of movies to see this season was "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" We saw this movie this weekend and I have to say it touched me deeply. I was not expecting to be moved.
Here is a short synopsis about the movie according to The Internet Movie Database:
"I was born under unusual circumstances." And so begins 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,' adapted from the 1920s story by F. Scott Fitzgerald about a man who is born in his eighties and ages backwards: a man, like any of us, who is unable to stop time. We follow his story, set in New Orleans from the end of World War I in 1918 to the 21st century, following his journey that is as unusual as any man's life can be. Directed by David Fincher and starring Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett with Taraji P. Henson, Tilda Swinton, Jason Flemyng, Elias Koteas and Julia Ormond, Benjamin Button is a grand tale of a not-so-ordinary man and the people and places he discovers along the way, the loves he finds, the joys of life and the sadness of death, and what lasts beyond time.
Here I am, only a few years from 50...hopefully right in the middle of living...(I'm planning to live to be 100). I look back over the last 47 years..childhood, teen years, early marriage, having children. Here I am trying to capture all of the abundance I can. Here I am wondering what the next decades will bring, yet not in a hurry for them to pass. I have always been moved by the idea of time and how it moves. There have been many wonderful movies about time. When I saw this trailer I had to see it. This is about experiencing life backwards. He starts old and becomes younger. One would think that would be a preferable state but as with any life, any age, any time period it has it's pros and cons.
If you don't have time to sit in this almost 3 hour movie, wait a few months and rent it, but do not miss this movie. Have patience with it, it is not your fast paced, keep the audience attention kind of movie. It is thought provoking, internally moving, and enriched with so many wonderful lines that I will have to see it again to remember their themes.
Here is a YouTube version of the trailer:
Benjamin really had some amazing thoughts. Here is one quote from the move that is unforgettable: "For what it's worth: it's never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There's no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you're proud of. If you find that you're not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."
Abundance is...being moved by a movie about life.
Monday, January 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
IT sounds wonderful! You have me convinced. I'll probably have to wait for the DVD. If I go to a three-hour movie, I will have spent my three hours of free time I get every week. =0
ReplyDeleteI read the book The Curious Incident of Max Tivoli which I believe is where this movie came from and it was interesting. I am NOT a fan of Brad Pitt's but with your recommendation and reading the book now...I might just have to check it out!
ReplyDeleteI have been wanting to see this movie! I'm glad you liked it. :)
ReplyDeleteThat's an incredible quote and such wisdom to live by.... I'll have to see the movie now that you've given it a rave review.
ReplyDeleteRoban
Tried to see it Saturday night, but it was sold out. I'll probably just wait till the DVD comes out so I can take stretch breaks. :)
ReplyDeleteGlad you liked it! I tried to get my sister to go with me and she said she couldn't make three whole hours....so I'm going to rent it when it comes out. Thanks for the review!
ReplyDeleteI saw the movie a couple of weeks ago and was similarly moved by it. I would like to see it again on DVD in about 6 months time.
ReplyDeleteThat quote is very profound, I love it.
Another quote I thought worth mentioning is:
“Life can only be understood looking backward. It must be lived forward.”
Hugs
Peggy
My son and daughter-in-law saw it and felt as you do...that it was a beautiful story!
ReplyDeleteSaw it and loved it!!
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
It is definitely on my "to see" list. Good to know that it has some thumbs up!
ReplyDeleteI really appreciate this review because the premise sounded - well, not so good - to me.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this - I am moved just reading what you wrote and watching the trailer. And I love the quote you closed with - how true!
ReplyDeleteBlogging has certainly led me to making the best of my life and meeting people with different points of view. I hope by living my DISCIPLINED life I will live a life I am proud or find the strength to start over.
ReplyDeleteI haven't seen this movie, but I look forward to seeing it.
I've been wanting to see this......I'm glad you reviewed it!
ReplyDeletei was wondering...i had a little feel that i might be good, but yeah...now i know! a good date movie with hubs maybe!!
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful! I love movies that really get you thinking. Sounds like a few "Aha!" moments occurred. How fun is that? I can't wait to see this...
ReplyDeleteThanks for the recommendation -- I've been waiting to hear a yea or nay. I guess I'm going to have to see it.
ReplyDeleteIf we can tear ourselves away from Mama Mia.
Wow. Now I really want to see it-- thank you for posting this!
ReplyDeleteI hope you don't mind I'm commenting on two posts in one, but both seemed to go hand in hand. What a inspiration your words are for this new year of abundance.
Thanks for the review. I love walking out of a movie feeling completely different from when I walked in.
ReplyDelete