Thursday, January 22, 2009

Abundance Quest

This first month was the month to select my new Word for the year. Those who follow this blog know my word is Abundance. I chose for this month's theme "Sing a New Song". I have been enjoying music on my ipod and on the playlists of friends as I read their posts. More figuratively, is all of the possible new skills there are to learn.


I have a friend who has created lists of new things to be accomplished each year. The list has included places to visit and new skills to learn including snowboarding and photography. I have made my own list and this year I am going to knit. Like quilting, it is a craft that requires some skill and a commitment of time. You might recall this post where I talk about the prayer shawl knitted for my husband when he had his surgery. I also have a friend who has knitted the most amazing felted bag. Every year at Christmas I marvel at the wonderful gifts that can be made and shared, yet I never plan far enough in advance to create these handmade gifts. This year will be abundantly different. I will spend February beginning the practice of knitting, with the hope of having some handmade gifts to share with family and friends in December.


Quiffstress

Learning a new skill can be a bit intimidating, after all, what if I am not good at it, what if I start and realize it is yet another unfinished project awaiting me, or what if I love it and am good at it and make the most beautiful projects.
I have a quote posted on the cabinet of my desk written by Martha Graham. Until today I did not know who Martha Graham was. Wikipedia did not disappoint: "Martha Graham (May 11, 1894 – April 1, 1991) was an American dancer and choreographer regarded as one of the foremost pioneers of modern dance" "Graham invented a new language of movement, and used it to reveal the passion, the rage and the ecstasy common to human experience. She danced and choreographed for over seventy years, and during that time was the first dancer ever to perform at The White House, the first dancer ever to travel abroad as a cultural ambassador, and the first dancer ever to receive the highest civilian award, the Medal of Freedom."

No surprise that this woman was so accomplished when you read what she has to say about learning a skill: " I believe that we learn by practice. Whether it means to learn to dance by practicing dancing or to learn to live by practicing living, the principles are the same. In each, it is the performance of a dedicated precise set of acts, physical or intellectual, from which comes shape of achievement, a sense of one's being, a satisfaction of spirit. One becomes, in some area, an athlete of God. Practice means to perform, over and over again in the face of all obstacles, some act of vision, of faith, of desire. Practice is a means of inviting the perfection desired."

I for one do not want perfection but I do want "satisfaction of spirit", for that is the goal in my quest for abundance. The rest is an "act of vision, of faith and of desire." Knitting is not the only practice I need. There are many more qualities to be explored. I hope joyful practice will be a part of the experience as I enjoy the process.

Abundance is...singing a new song and learning something new.

13 comments:

  1. Just came back from dance practice -- something I could easily give up because it isn't easy. That has been my modus operandi most of my life. My closet is full of things that got too hard to do. I can't wait to see what you accomplish, singing this new song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your quest for abundance and new skills, and to want them so that you may share with others. How beautiful! Blessings upon your plans. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the line "learn to live by practicing living". That says so much. Or we could turn the words around and say "Live and Learn".

    I must admit I flitter from project to project so I have become a "jack of all trades", "master of none".

    Hope you enjoy the knitting, you have certainly given yourself plenty of time to make some lovely gifts for Christmas.

    Hugs
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am trying to learn Spanish...I do get frustrated and I think I am going to purchase Rosetta Stone to help but I am going to learn...practice..practice...practice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very true...practice practice practice. Abundance is my photography and all the practice I do to learn different ways to capture a moment. I look at my photos now compared to when I began...and it amazes me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to learn to knit as well. I have so many things i want to learn to do, so many goals, I love reading how others are doing, it gives me motivation to work on mine.

    Thanks for the compliments on Steals and Deals. It has been a lot of fun working on that blog with my sister.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe that the human spirit thrives on trying. It's through trying that we see where our limitations are currently, but we also glimpse our potential. So many just sit and let the parade pass them by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you! We have this wonderful little "knitting" shop that's located in a quaint district of our town. I've been in before and couldn't resist touching the beautiful yarns and fibers on display. I even talked to my daughter about us both taking a class, but we haven't signed up... yet. My problem is that I want to be able to create the most beautiful, intricate things that I see. As a beginner, I know my talent will not come close to the vision I have. Practice, practice, practice...!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job learning something new- it can be a challenge but so rewarding. Yes I am barely posting as my son is in a play and there is alot going on.
    Yes I love phonemic awareness - I am always trying to shove it in my sessions

    ReplyDelete
  10. Satisfaction of spirit. I love that. I really, really love that. Blessings on that quest. I just know God will bless that effort.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, you okay? Just checkin' since you haven't updated in a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Go you!!!!! I should pick up something new myself. Need to give that some thought! As always, you're so inspirational!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post, I love the quote, and most of all I love that you are setting out to learn a new {and fun} skill. I have always wanted to learn to knit. I think it is an amazing art. Can't wait to see how the learning process goes!

    ReplyDelete

I am abundantly grateful for your comments!