Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Hopeless Romantic or Winter Movie Reviews

It was snowy this week in Oklahoma and they are forecasting more next week. I have enjoyed many of the stories and photos from my blog friends about their snow days. I have to admit, that my favorite part of snow day involves a well heated room, a "blankie", a cup of hot cocoa and my friend the DVD player with a huge stack of my favorite winter flicks. As Christmas approaches Ibegin to think about the movies that are calling me, the "must be seen" movies that I watch every year during the winter/holiday season. Here are my top picks for your movie nights!!


"Dr. Zhivago" is an oldie but a very long "goodie" and best watched when you have a true snow day! This 1965 film is a true saga and maybe not your holiday "happy" movie but I love the story.


Next is the 1989 film "When Harry Met Sally". I have mentioned this one before but I cannot get through a holiday with out my pals Harry and Sally and their wonderful relationship. The lines are great and the music is amazing. If you watch this one, you must email me and tell me your favorite lines! With this movie I became a huge Meg Ryan fan and Billy Crystal really grew on me!


This film "Home Alone" from 1991 is timeless. My kids loved it when they were little and I am embarrassed to say I have been know to watch this one on cable TV all alone. I love the antics with the burglars, the ingenuity of Kevin, the lessons Kevin learns from the old man, and the more important lessons the family may have learned along the way.




The 1992 film " The Bodyguard" is one that I forget about but I love it. I am thinking of the winter scenes in this move and Kevin Costner in his hay day. If you need another Kevin Costner fix with a winter theme also try "Dances with Wolves".

1993 was a banner movie year. Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks did not disappoint in their film "Sleepless in Seattle". I wouldn't mind meeting on the top of the Empire State Building...would you?

Also in 1993, "Groundhog Day" made the hit movie list. This is a fun movie and leaves you something to think about. This is definitely one to challenge how we live each day to the fullest and maybe something about putting our best foot forward, look for ways to serve others, and make each day our best.
The 1998 movie "You've Got Mail" is also one of my favorites. Again, great music, love that bookstore and way this relationship develops.

Finally, the 2001 film "Serendipity" takes place in New York and has some great winter scenes. If I could ice skate, I would want to ice skate at night, at a rink, in the snow!!! and not alone!

Okay, so here you have a Winter Movie Review and the great thing is they are probably in the cheap racks at the rental store since they are so old. The great ones just deserve to been seen.

As for me a romantic date would be skating or dancing in the snow. I just have to dream about it because snow does not happen very often here in Oklahoma. I have included a few photos I have found to help you create an image in your mind of what it would be like to warmly dance with a partner in the snow. Imagine...


Now, if you made it to the end of this post, here is what I want to hear from you...
1) What film would you add to this list?
2) Which of these films would be first on your list to see?
3) If you have danced in the snow, tell me all about it!!!

http://images.inmagine.com/img/designpics/dpic032/dp1772233.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_0nb2XclkEGE/R50LEsxOlnI/AAAAAAAAEaw/9k0kM1gYAbc/IMG_2537.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geeknerd99/111022455/


Abundance is...being a hopeless romantic!!

18 comments:

  1. You've named so many of my favorites, it's hard for me to think (at this time of the night) what movies to add. But I'll mull it over and get back to ya!

    Sleepless in Seattle and You've Got Mail are two of my favorites, along with Serendipity.

    I'm not sure you can call it dancing, but my husband and I kept getting our skis tangled up when it was time to get off the ski lift. I would like to think that it looked like we were dancing.... :-)

    Snow! It's been about eight years since we got a real, honest-to-goodness snow day. Lucky you!

    Roban

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in Upstate NY we get so much snow, I wish I could share some with you! We are in a small town, but we have already made the National Weather Channel several times due to snow amounts! I, too, am a hopeless romantic and love all of the movies that you have pictured here...there's a couple more....Love Story with Ryan O'Neil and Pretty Woman with Richard Gere. Oh! And My Best Friend's Wedding! I just love those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a Meg Ryan fan through and through. Tom Hanks too for that matter.
    When Harry Met Sally.
    My Best Friend's Wedding.
    An Affair to Remember. (Old School)
    16 Candles
    Breakfast Club
    My Big Fat Greek Wedding
    Grease
    Bridget Jones Diary. I loved the part with the Granny Panties!

    Oh How I could go On and On

    ReplyDelete
  4. You making lists again Coach, can't help yourself can you!

    OK I'll play.

    1. The film I would add to your list is one I watch each year - "The Notebook", released in 2004 with a tagline "Behind every great love is a great story". It stars the gorgeous Ryan Gosling.

    2. The next question is a no-brainer and I feel guilty because I haven't seen it since it first came out and a very good friend's husband suggested I view when my computer broke down....have I done enough grovelling....."Dr. Zhivago" of course.....it's on my list, it's on my list!

    3. Never danced in the snow. It never snows in Sydney and also I am not a fan of snow, too cold. I live for the sun.

    I have seen and enjoyed all the other movies you listed and the snow photos are beautiful.

    Take care
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fanny and Alexander! I just ordered to Deluxe set from Amazon! After Christmas you will have to borrow it!!!! I love it ---- pure pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've never seen the bodyguard, but i had to laugh, because it's actually one of my husbands favorites!

    i don't remember serendipity much, but i do love john cusack! my favorite of his is, of course, say anything. not wintry, but i'm in the mood for that one all year!

    thanks for your thoughtful comments the other day about hunting--i appreciated them. when the public gets away from knowing where our food comes from, unhealthy and cruel practices abound. in the case of food, ignorance isn't bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Serendipity would be on the top of my list. Great list , by the way and with the exception of Body Guard (I don't really remember it), are all movies I own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. when harry met sally! love that show! i love that we learn that men and women can not be friends without one of them wanting more at some point! soooooo fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. when harry met sally! love that show! i love that we learn that men and women can not be friends without one of them wanting more at some point! soooooo fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't say I have ever danced in the snow...but I love your pics! I haven't seen these in a long time. I need a movie night!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a fun post! we have similar taste in movies! ok - my favorite when harry met line: "I'm going to be 40...someday!"

    Doctor Zhivago - man - that movie made me sad and mad. I agree, it's a good one. Love Laura's theme.

    The movie I'd add to the list is the hard-to-find sleeper, The Secret of Roan Innish. Also, Little Women - the one with Winona Ryder. There are a couple on your list I haven't seen, so I'll have to keep them in mind on that one time a year when I actually get to watch a movie - when my kids aren't hogging the TV and I'm still awake enough to pay attention. Ha! Ahhhh. The tender years of raising kids.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just watched Home Alone with my little guy. It was his 1st time. My fav part is when he is in the bathroom singing into his hairbrush "I'm dreaming of a white Xmas." His eyes are droopy and he just looks so cute. Serendipity is one of my favs. I posted about it a while back and love David Gray's song while they see each other again at the skating rink.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The only movie there that I haven't seen is Serendipity. Maybe I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. sleepless in seattle - my favourite movie OF ALL TIME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello There!!

    I, too, am a hopeless romantic & my choice of movies is very similar to yours too :)

    1)If I were to add movies to this list, they'd probably be "The Notebook", "Sweet November" & "Dirty Dancing". These are the ones amongst the few that I keep returning to very often.

    2)The first one on my list would be "Sleepless in Seattle".

    3)I haven't danced in the snow ever but I am sure that I'd love doing that with my partner.. Pray for me that I get a loving partner soon!! :)

    Read your blog for the first time today, loved it & wanna keep coming back.

    Blessed Be,
    Meow

    ReplyDelete
  16. ok - I love harry met sally
    one of my favorite scenes is the diner when they are traveling as college students and they talk about days of the week underpants and then
    Harry tries to apologize for a remark and says he will take it back
    and Sally tells him he can't take it back because it is already out there!
    cracks me up every time

    also love Serendipity
    great movie

    I would add the Devil wears Prada or the Family Man

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't seen Serendipity. I'll have to check that one out. But you're missing several of my favorites. I have a whole shelf of "chick flick" movies I put in whenever I'm depressed. Here are some of my favorites:

    While you were sleeping
    French Kiss
    IQ
    Chocolat
    Shakespeare in Love
    13 Going on 30
    Almost Heaven
    Sweet Home Alabama

    ReplyDelete

I am abundantly grateful for your comments!