Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Tuesday Tales - Snowmen at Night

"Snowmen at Night by Caralyn Buehner is one of my favorite winter books!

This is what Barnes and Noble says about “Snowmen at Night”
School Library Journal
A child wonders why a snowman looks droopy the morning after it was made and decides that snowmen must be nocturnal. The bouncy, rhyming text describes the imagined rumpus in which the snowmen have races, do tricks on skates, and bump into one another like clowns. "They gather up their snowballs, the pitcher takes his aim,/and underneath the moonlit sky they play a baseball game./No one knows just how it started,/but soon it's quite a sight-/with snowmen throwing snowballs/in the world's best snowball fight!" After a night of action, the tired snowmen return to their homes. The oil-over-acrylic paintings capture the fun of the rollicking adventures and bring these round creations to life. The illustrations convincingly depict their solid bodies in action, and the moonlit snowy setting provides a sense of mystery. The imaginative description and lively art could provide an entertaining read-aloud for bedtime sharing or winter story times.-Adele Greenlee, Bethel College, St. Paul, MN Copyright 2002 Cahners Business Information.


Christmas is over but we are still well into winter and it’s time to carry that snow theme into the new year. “Snowmen at Night” will make a great addition to your library and the language is very rich.

1. This is a great book for predicting what might happen next, especially since the snowmen are “walking” down the street at night…”I wonder where they are going?”

2. This is my favorite book for describing action: Those snowmen really get after it sliding, climbing, skating, throwing, sledding, riding, resting, sleeping, melting, waving, slipping, smiling, drinking, pouring, racing.

3. There is also plenty of opportunity to describe each snowman by what they are wearing: green scarf, red hat, earmuffs, red mittens, carrot nose etc.

4. There is a lot of fun going on in these pages so talk about all of those feeling words:
The snowmen are joyful, gleeful, excited, eager , thrilled, keyed up, energized, delighted, overjoyed, pleased, elated, enchanted, charmed, enamored, captivated.

5. Take this opportunity to expand and talk about all of the sports that you could do in the winter. Maybe look up information from the winter Olympics and learn all of those sports.


Abundance is….building snowmen, playing in snow and laughing all the way!

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good book for Carter and I!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book looks really fun. This will be a great to book start the winter theme. Glad to read that you had a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No playing in snow here but the book sure sounds nice and we can use our imaginations. That is abundance too!!!!!! Thank you for another wonderful recommendation on not just the read but how to fully experience the read.

    Happy New Year my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who doesn't love a good story about snowmen? We sure had fun making them last week on our Christmas trip. Hope you had a wonderful holiday! Thanks for sharing this book with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If we're blog sisters, I guess we'll have to be twins, right?

    Glad you liked the scrapblog.... I haven't been on lately (except for the two Christmas cards) and nearly forgot how much fun it is. I think this year I'll create a page a month for a 2010 calendar to print for my husband's family. It will be ready when I need it! (Planning ahead may be something I do well; it's the follow-through that always gets me!)

    This Snowman book looks so cute. I LOVE children's books and will have to take a peek at B&N soon. (I even have gift cards to spend... woo hoo!!) Your educational tips are great! I use children's books to teach writing to my 8th-graders, so the adjectives idea would be something I can do with them.

    You're close to your 100th blog... One more day to go?

    Take care!
    Roban

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ryder still asks about the Snowman we built last year. Thanks for the recommendation! I love how you fully explain everything. You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We checked this one out from the library and it was SO hilarious! My son loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tommy loves snowmen - with the coming snow storm, we just might have to make a library visit and check this one out!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks good..
    we always do some snow related things in January, I will have to check this out.
    I gave alot of books to my 3 year old niece who was visiting for Christmas.
    She is talking so well and loves books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have this book and I had the opportunity to meet the illustrator and get ours signed! Love this book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always love your book posts. Have I told you that yet?

    ReplyDelete

I am abundantly grateful for your comments!