Monday, December 8, 2008

Tuesday Tales - Shhh! Santa!

There is nothing like a good book about Santa to get kids excited about Christmas. I picture Santa as a very jolly endearing man and this week's book does not disappoint. This week's Tuesday Tales is Shhh!, written by Julie Sykes and illustrated by Tim Warnes. This book was originally published under the name of "Noisy Santa" and then "Shhh! Santa".


Here is what the Barnes and Noble review says about Shhh!
Publishers Weekly
"In this slight but sweet picture book, Santa is so excited about delivering toys that he has a hard time keeping quiet on Christmas Eve. His loud "Hee hee," a giant "Ah choo!" and his nervous stumbling threaten to wake up sleeping children on his route. Luckily, he avoids disaster and makes it back to the North Pole where he can let out a big "HO, HO, HO!" Kids will giggle at Santa's clumsiness and childlike behavior, and they'll likely take a shine to Warnes's cartoony rendition of a roly-poly Saint Nick. Ages 3-7."
I have already started reading this to the children that I see. First there is the idea that Santa is being too loud and there is a host of friends to remind him "Don't wake the children!". Don't you know every child secretly hopes they will hear Santa when he comes to their house!
There is the reindeer, a cat, a snowman, and a dog who all try to keep Santa quiet. He is so excited about Christmas that he just cannot help himself.
There are a number of things that happen to him including slipping in the snow, tripping on a roller skate and sneezing out loud.
There are bags of toys and for little ones great opportunities to describe the toys that can be seen, to imagine what might be in the wrapped packages and to talk about what the child would like there to be in a package.
In addition, there is a plethora of Christmas decorations to label and compare with your own at home. There is also a little mouse on every page and he is fun to seek and find!
I hope you have an amazing season of reading with your little ones. I do have my favorites but I would love to hear from you. Include in your comments the top 3 Christmas books you read with your children. Let's see if we can create a great list for all to share. I will post the list next week!
Abundance is...imagining and the magic of Christmas!

9 comments:

  1. One of our favorite christmas books is "Auntie Claus." I'd have to dig it out to find the author. Fun story and great illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fun. I always buy the dumplins one new Christmas book each year and then a book for them specifically. Usually a book that remind me of them with a special note from me. We love books! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful book, with lots of interaction. I am sure Charlie and Joseph aged 4 1/2 and 2 1/2 would love me to read it to them.
    Next Monday I will ask their Mother if she has this book and also what Christmas books she enjoys reading to the children.

    Great idea to create a list for all of us to peruse.

    Hope life is treating you well.

    Hugs
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww...what a cute story... I'd love to have this to read to my children!!
    I also heard about the book "elf on the shelf"...about Santa's elf that watches everything during the day and then goes to Santa every evening to "report" to Santa all the naughty & nice things that have happened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great one for working on /sh/ sounds too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always liked this one, too. It's one of my favorites. I've got to get busy and post on some of my favorite books, too. I bet you've read them all!!

    Roban

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great book! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you give recommendations for interaction. This morning I told my 5yo that we're going to make time each weekend for 1 hour each day to have just quiet time and read. That's in addition to reading at bedtime every night. I just love it so much and that time together that I always feel so peaceful afterwards.

    ReplyDelete

I am abundantly grateful for your comments!