Saturday, December 6, 2008

Symbols of Christmas Past

I have had a great day today. It was the day we decorated our tree and set out our Christmas decorations. I have to admit I usually dread it. It's just that I don't like the mess of taking down all of those boxes, weeding through all of the tissue paper, ornament hooks, and over the top collected and gifted decorations that I box up every year. I could honestly not buy one more ornament in my lifetime and have enough. Since this blog is for recording my history, I am choosing to share this photo of my Santa Collection. There was a woman in my hometown who created a new ceramic Santa each year, and each year that she made them my mother gifted one to me. That is how my collection began. I have not put them out for several years so today was a great day, I always ride down memory lane as the decorations come out.



This Santa is one that I made in May, 1993. It was made during a difficult time in my life and this little project became just the creative outlet that I needed. After this project was completed some doors opened for me that changed my life and my perspective. I will always look at this little Santa and child as a symbol for rebirth.



This is a painting given to us by some very special friends. Because this painting is a timeless piece of art we display this all year around. It warms my heart for this gentle soul to be looking down at us throughout the year.


This little Santa was one that my parents displayed every year. It is actually a Santa money bank. The little rubber stopper was lost many years ago so the hole is covered by masking tape. In the bank is change that has been there for at least 20 years. I just never take it out. It is a symbol of childhood Christmases. I display it proudly with my collection.
This collection is displayed on an antique buffet that was my grandmothers. I cherish this piece of furniture. I don't see my Santa collection as a gathering of things but rather a gathering of memories that make up my life. I can get them out for a short while then safely store them away to see them again in another year.
I have a few other special symbols of Christmas to be shared later.
What special symbols of Christmas do you display with pride. Take a picture and share one or comment on this post and tell me what it is.
Abundance is...the symbols that remind us of the people we love and the acts of love that have been shared.

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful santa's and great memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it wonderful what happens by just changing the way you approached an action. This time instead of dread, replacing the thought with a beautiful trip down memory lane.

    And we got to share the journey though these pictures and your commentary....that certainly is a striking, warm painting.

    I'll put mine on my 'to do' list!!!!

    Hugs
    Peg

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww!

    don't cha just LOVE all the precious knick knacks that we accumulate along the way?!?!?

    good 'ol St.Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your santa collection... I have a snowman collection...and feel like I could never get enough

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is great hearing your stories with your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Christmas treasures! I've been taking my only little stroll down memory lane and feel the same way you do.....I have tons of decorations and ornaments. But, I just love the feeling of sharing those memories each and every year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it fun to revisit the past as you decorate for Christmas. Just about everything I pull out of boxes and packages has a story to tell. That's probably why it takes so darn long to decorate each year!

    Thanks for sharing your collection with us. I'll get busy - soon - and do the same.

    Take care,
    Roban

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing such a part of yourself today. Your explanations were very touching. Esp. of your rebirth after painting Santa and child. My ornaments have special meaning just from who gave them to me as well. I still have one from a Sunday school teacher, my kindergarden teacher, grandparents, family and friends. They alway have places of honor on my tree.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a wonderful collection. There are many images of Santa that are a joy to see each year.

    I have the Willow Creek Nativity that my MIL gave me that I love to set out each year. It is my favorite. I also have ornaments on my tree from my childhood that I treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love your memory of rebirth with one of your collections! Our tree is one of pride for me because it symbolizes my family's tree, a new life with my husband and son. It's so different from the one I grew up with that had every color under the sun and no matching theme with every kind of ornament. I did love it as a child but the tree we have now is so different, very color coordinated. We've been doing it the same now for the years we have been married so it's symbolic of our life together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful reminders! My Mom collected Santas and I wish I took some of them! When she moved, she got rid of so much...and I didn't think of taking them then. Now seeing your collection reminds me of my childhood home...filled with happy Santa's. What great memories! Thank you for this post today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is so nice to have so many fond memories, isn't it? These Santa's are great and the memories behind them mean a lot to you, I can tell. I'm glad you shared them with us. Makes me think a lot about the season for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a collection of Santas as well. I have one from every where we have lived.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So neat! I love your Santa collection and all the memories it holds.

    We do snowmen in our home but my Hubby has always wanted to do timeless Santa's. Maybe some day, when I too do not dread unwrapping everything. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVELY santas! (I agree - I hate the mess and fuss as well)

    ReplyDelete

I am abundantly grateful for your comments!