This week's Booking Through Thursday poses an interesting question on the impact of peer pressure in choosing a book. (See question quoted below)
"Peer Pressure: I was looking through books yesterday at the shops and saw all the Twilight books, which I know basically nothing about. What I do know is that I’m beginning to feel like I’m the *only* person who knows nothing about them. Despite being almost broke and trying to save money, I almost bought the expensive book (Australian book prices are often completely nutty) just because I felt the need to be ‘up’ on what everyone else was reading.
Have you ever felt pressured to read something because ‘everyone else’ was reading it? Have you ever given in and read the book(s) in question or do you resist? If you are a reviewer, etc, do you feel it’s your duty to keep up on current trends?"
Have you ever felt pressured to read something because ‘everyone else’ was reading it? Have you ever given in and read the book(s) in question or do you resist? If you are a reviewer, etc, do you feel it’s your duty to keep up on current trends?"
This question was interesting to me because I recently found out about the Twilight Series and I read all four books in 7 days. Yes, I missed a few blogs, totally missed most of the Olympics and missed a few desserts. (I didn't eat while reading!) I did not feel pressure to read these books. I was intrigued. I first learned of them from my 23 year old daughter who started her own Twilight Book Club, three friends who got together to discuss the books. Then, a number of the women at work had read them and could not wait to get the fourth book. Now, no one showed up at the local midnight Barnes and Noble party dressed in their wedding gown but they did go the next day and get their own copy. So, I borrowed the books from my daughter and the rest is history. They were awesome books by a very good writer, Stephanie Meyer. Check out her cool website! I was amazed that these books were so popular with the 20, 30, 40 and 50 something women and a few men, when they were primarily written as a teen novel. They had to be well written for all of these women to be hooked on them. Since I finished the fourth book I have encouraged a number of my friends to read them. For one, I enjoy a bit of fantasy myself and I loved the way the stories carried me into another realm while staying in the safe haven of my living room.
So, the answer to the question posed by Booking Through Thursday for me is a resounding YES!
I like to hear about books that the masses are reading and intrigued by. I do not have the time to look through all of those books at Barnes and Noble and spend my hard earned pennies on a book that is going to only be a disappointment and a waste of my time. Give me a book that has been well read, well reviewed and swooned over and I will try it for myself.
I felt the same way about the Jean Auel series " The Clan of the Cave Bear" et. al. I could not put them down and I waited for each one as it was written. I remain faithful to those authors who year after year put out a book that I can....okay... I cannot resist....that I can SINK MY TEETH INTO!!!!!! Happy reading. If you read the Twilight Series let me know what you think!!

Shhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone I have read the whole series --- discovered it a year ago! I'm a little embarrassed but how do we define literature? Something that is well written or sells well?
ReplyDeleteI am on the third book and started to read them b/c I couldn't join my friends in their conversation! I am the last one to finish the series.
ReplyDeleteI usually don't read books b/c they are popular, hence I still have not read the Harry Potter series...I know, I know, I think I have lost friends b/c of it! :-)
BTW- did not know you were from Australia!
I'm starting to feel peer pressured into reading this series. I've seen it mentioned on so many blogs. My problem is that when I start a book, everything else gets forgotten until I finish the book. I need to find a slow week to devote to the book.
ReplyDeleteThis question comes at a great time for me because, as you know, I am smack dab in the middle of the Twilight saga, wrapping up New Moon. I don't feel pressure so much because everyone is reading something BUT when I do hear from SO many people I respect through blogland how amazing a series is, I definitely want in. The enthusiasm & eloquence for these books was amazing. There was no way I couldn't see what the love was all about.
ReplyDeletenever heard of them - and I so wish I had time to read 4 books in 7 days????? Are you kidding! Maybe if I spent less time blogging ha ha ha
ReplyDelete2/8 finally finished--so I'll report in on Monday!
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Oh, I read them all in one go too! I totally neglected life, it was wonderful! Have you downloaded the Midnight Sun? (Edward's side of the story-- only SM got upset that some of it was leaked before it was finished and put the entire rough draft up for anyone to download-- she's not finishing it)
ReplyDelete