Saturday, October 18, 2008

Memories...Where are the Corners of My Mind?

My good friend Miruspeg posted this week "Please Don't Ask Me For More Detail!" about all of the information we might know, do know, do not know and should know about our world. See her post to get the "details". My initial smart alec comment to her post was "that is not my type of intelligence".

She listed bits of info in her data bank, a few interesting ones from childhood and then challenged me further..."So what exactly was the nature of the Palestinian nation before the formation of Israel? Why were negotiations with the IRA suddenly successful?" and posed the question: "Should we feel embarrassment about these gaps in our knowledge?"

So here are my thoughts:
My husband has a great memory for certain kinds of information. He remembers important dates in history, Presidents' years in office, and box scores and stats for athletes and teams. He remembers the dates of every family move and when each child did what. He knows geographical facts such as where all of the countries are located, their capitals, names of multiple mountains and bodies of water. He knows phone numbers..at one time he knew the phone number for every member of our congregation. He even knew the number at the Holiday Inn in another random city! (I had to ask about that one and he did a wedding there one time and remembered the phone number!)
Now...that is a good memory you say...BUT he also has misplaced more pairs of sunglasses than I can count, forgets to mail bills, forgets to call to make appointments, and forgets to post his receipts in the record book.
I on the other hand could not tell you a single important date in history by the year label. I can tell you how the people felt, I can tell you what I was doing when it happened and I can probably tell you which news broadcaster told about it. I can see the images of what was experienced.

For instance, when the NASA Space Shuttle Challenger exploded in the atmosphere I was folding my daughter's baby laundry in the den of our home in MWC, OK, it was in the morning, Gary G. was wallpapering my kitchen, Tom Brokaw broke the news as we were watching it happen and one of the astronauts was his good friend. Christa McAuliffe was the teacher on board and her parents were watching in stunned disbelief. Her children were elementary age or younger. I cannot tell you the date. (I just looked it up..1986)

I do think we all have a different type of intelligence for how we remember, memorize or grasp information. Another individual might remember the mission of that NASA journey, the other names of the astronauts aboard, how many and so on.

Teachers have long been taught that in order to "teach" our children information that we want them to grasp and remember we have to teach to that child's "intellegence". That means using a variety of methods to teach the same information.

I will say that in addition to how we learn, it also matters that in today's world there is so much more to know and remember. The reason I think that we don't know all of those wonderful details that Miruspeg mentioned is because when we were young, much of that was not in the text books or even on the education radar for us to get. Some of the information about the economy, science, environment and even history was simply not known, labeled, or even written about then.

My graduate school education was outdated by 5 years at the time I graduated due to the lag in publishing the updated information.

So I will say this... I feel I remember less as I get older, but maybe it is that information is coming so fast and there is so much to know and even with this wonderful internet which did not exist when I was growing up, we cannot possibly give our attention to all of it. That is why we depend on each other to share the important things when we need to know it and when it is useful.
I know more about prostate cancer now that I did two months ago, and I know more about breast cancer since my mom had it 5 years ago. I know more about hearing loss than the average person but I can't tell you much about the ends and outs of blindness. I can tell you more about sustainability and carbon footprints than I could a year ago and I can tell you how to add an html code to your blog. I can tell you alot about child development and I know more about the use of fertilizer to make a bomb since the OKC bombing. I know more today about the Middle East now than I did 5 years ago, I learn more each day but I will not become an expert on the ends and outs of why this or that is working or not working. I will depend on someone else for those details.

So to respond to my friend's wonderful post about "detail", "knowledge" and "memory". I think we cannot know it all, but we should know about our immediate surroundings, pay attention to those we love and live around and care about their lives. We should be informed about the issues surrounding our local and national governments and the "facts" that guide us to full participation in elections and policies. We should be aware and have an understanding of our planet and our own impact on it, and we should know as much as we can about the faiths and paradigms of our brothers and sisters around the world.

We cannot know each and every fact, if we did we would be holed up in a room and not out living the abundant life God intended. We can depend on each other to pose the great questions, provided us help in understanding and live each day with empathy for each other.

Abundance is...knowing what you need to know when you need to know it.

16 comments:

  1. Well, I was feeling a little badly about leaving a long message on Peg's blog, but now that I see just how much you had to say on this topic, I don't.

    It is true that there is a lot of information out there.

    Another little funny thing about my mom. When we were kids, she had to stop getting the Austin American Statesman delivered everyday because she felt that she couldn't go on with her day until she had read it from cover to cover. She has since overcome that idea. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!

    I think your husband may be related to my husband... mine is also a walking base of random knowledge, I think it is helpful because I can say, "Hey when is this person's birthday or what's your sister's cell phone," and he always knows!

    The emotional knowledge is also important and when I ask him more detailed questions about an event related to feelings he says, " I don't know. I didn't ask."

    Anyway, I enjoyed your post and thought it was really thoughtful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this post alot. Great thoughts and insight about how we sort of feel like we are loosing our memory when every month we are learning so many new things. Blogging is a great example.

    I sometimes marvel at the dichotomy in my own life; an expert on many topics and such a novice at others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Miruspeg's post as well! I think it's amazing what we chose to remember. My husband can't remember anything before 4th grade (the year his older brother died). He doesn't really remember his bother...just a few memories here and there. I think it is amazing how the brain works like that! I love to learn new things and have a quest for knowledge...but only of things that really interest me! I love blogging because it opens my mind to so much more(as I can pigeon hole myself).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting observations and thoughts. I'll try to remember them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for enlightening us with your views on memory/knowledge...it was a very interesting and inspiring read.
    My friend cazjane summed it up beautifully - "Knowing HOW to find the information is probably more important than knowing the facts themselves. Then the skill is to sift through the information and understand it."

    Also your "Abundance is...knowing what you need to know when you need to know it".........is my philosphy as well.

    Hugs
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  7. aaahhh, well said. I don't feel so bad about all of my gaps now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Coach! I will be looking forward to tomorrow's post! :-)

    BTW- this week is teacher conf, so I should know more about my sons speech therapy, I hope at least... I will probably be emailing you with ?'s.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love that last sentence! So true!

    I'm so glad you stopped by so I could find your blog. Thanks for your sweet comment, and for sharing the story about the $100...I absolutely loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so interesting the way our brains work...what we retain and what we forget. This is a great post!:)
    By the way, my sister in law is a speech pathologist, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amen! My theory is that if we put all the good information in then when we need it, the Holy Ghost will be able to bring it to our remembrance. So, I just worry about gaining the knowledge. I'm sure it will be there when I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that was a mouthful! I loved it. I am so with you on remembering feelings, where I was, etc. Dates not so much or phone numbers even worse. My hubby is much like yours. Is it a man vs woman thing? All I have to say is, You must hate playing Trivia games with your hubby as much as I hate playing them with mine. Wink Wink

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey! Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm glad to find another "Oklahoma" person... I love your blog! I'll be back to visit! Thanks again for the nice comment and for stopping by. Hope you'll check back with me too!

    ReplyDelete

I am abundantly grateful for your comments!