Some of you know the story of my incredible journey into blogging. How I met someone born on the same day and year that I was born. Well, I have another story of new blogger friendship. I found Elle, a woman with a blog that I love who is also a speech pathologist. We are like minded in the way we view language and I invited her to guest post this week. You will love her post! Please visit her at "Fingerprints On My Window" and leave her a comment too! Also check out her posts about her amazing family vineyard!
Too Many Pumpkins, by Linda White and Illustrated by Megan Lloyd. A great read for October. I found this book through the scholastic book orders. This book can be enjoyed by a range of children, ages five to ten.The simple story introduces us to its main character a senior woman by the name of Rebecca Estelle. Rebecca, an avid gardener, enjoyed growing everything except pumpkins. She hated pumpkins due to previous experiences in her personal history. Rebecca had vowed never to even look at a pumpkin again and she didn't until...........one Autumn day several pumpkins fall off a passing truck in her front yard. We spend much of the next few pages watching Rebecca try to rid herself of the pumpkins. In desperation Rebecca finally avoids her front yard by closing the drapes and using the back door. In the end, the reader is pleasantly surprised to see the change in this character's attitude about something she hated for a long time.
The vocabulary used is fun and helps set the tone of the book. The book introduces young readers to the following vocabulary words: enormous, smithereens, slimy, tumbled, insisted, admiring, noticed, curious, disgust, ignore, muttered, never, glanced, shrieked, twined, plopped, struggles, grumbled, perhaps, nuisance, whirled, and snugly.
The author will describe a few events and actions on each page and then uses the word "until" as a transition. What a great invitation to ask a question or make a statement to develop inferencing skills. Some examples might be;
"Oh I wonder what will happen next?" or "Maybe she will decide to eat the pumpkins."
It is also a great time to pause in your reading. When readers use pauses 2 to 3 seconds in length within a story it can be very powerful. Some quiet moments allow for the child to ponder what is happening and what will happen next. I encourage all readers of young child to "slow down." The art in this book is a treat as well.
My favorite thing about this story is we get to witness a character who ends up changing her mind about something after a long time. Learning that there is always a chance we could change our minds about something is a great life lesson for old and young alike.
I hope you all find a great read this October and enjoy the magic of a book shared with a child.

Thank you so much, Elle!!
"Abundance is...pausing to think, and the freedom to change your mind!"
(Avtcoach)
Sounds like a perfect book for Fall. Guest spots are fun!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that I was able to find out Neighbor Lady's name too. Amen! I was so stressed out about it. Kind of silly when I should have just asked. But hey - lesson learned. :o)
I hope you had a great weekend!
Oh, Coach!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fabulous idea! I may have to check into this for my Read to the Class day coming up --- I was just going to go with an old fave: Big Pumpkin, but this one sounds fabulous!
Thanks for sharing your spot in the world with another (2 --- or MORE!!!) SLP!
I am going to look into this book. It looks really cute. I need books geared to 5-7 y/o reading level. My middle son is just now enjoying books. He was always the kid that didn't want me to read a book and if he did on rare occasion he would not sit through it. Now he is interested and learning to read! My oldest picked up reading so quickly and loved it and still does; I wonder if it has anything to do with him being in Speech Therapy for so long? My middle son NEEDS to be in speech but his teacher is being too lax about it. My middle son has a huge lisp and I can understand my 3 y/o better than I can him and he's 5! But long story long...I love and appreciate all book recommendations, especially geared toward his age. (And if you have any suggestions how to help a boy with a lisp, I'm all ears!) Thanks Coach! :-)
ReplyDeleteOh, I must get this book..
ReplyDeleteIt is one I don't have..lol.
So many great things to think about! My little ones would really love this book. I also appreciate the reminder to slow down and allow time to process! My Brother with Down Syndrome has a 6 second delay in processing and it feels like forever, but when he's given the time, he will always answer and is usually spot on with a witty comment.
ReplyDeleteThanks for letting me pop in and add my two cents to Tuesday's Tales.
ReplyDeleteElle
Looks like a fun seasonal read! I love kids books - as much for myself as for my girl!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the post!!!!
ReplyDeleteFantastic recommendation! As AVT Coach knows, we are big proponents of literature-based learning and therapy at the Octamom house. I'm always looking for great titles and this one looks like a winner! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
This book looks like one I'd love to go get. Thank you!!!!
ReplyDeleteGreat work Elle, I always look forward to the new books listed each week. Having small children I need all the resources I can get!
ReplyDeletenice again! and today, i linked you! yeah!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great read! I love, love books!!
ReplyDeleteThank you for stopping by my blog the other day. I want to say that I was born and raised in NE, so I know what you mean about being land locked :)
That looks like a fun story! We are still reading "the Runaway pumpkin" at least once a day around here!
ReplyDeleteMy kids are in a halloween craze right now!!
ReplyDeleteLove it!
We will definitely check it out and great guest post!!
Laura
What a neat way to introduce us to Elle. Now, I'll probably be visiting her, too! I really liked the post. I LOVE children's books and use them when I teach 8th-graders. Vivid vocabulary is one of our focuses, and it seems that this book will have plenty.
ReplyDeleteTake care my birthday sister!
Roban
I am SO loving this review. It's the first one I've seen since going MIA and I am So impressed. And thankful! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for dropping by my blog. It was good to read your thoughts on Poverty too.
ReplyDeleteIt not absolutely that is necessary for me. There are other variants? [url=http://cgi2.ebay.fr/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=acheter_levitra_ici_1euro&acheter-levitra]levitra en ligne[/url] You are not right. I am assured. I suggest it to discuss. Write to me in PM, we will talk.
ReplyDeleteDans cela quelque chose est. Maintenant tout est clair, je remercie de l'aide dans cette question. http://www.runfr.com achat de cialis [url=http://runfr.com]acheter du cialis[/url]
ReplyDelete