Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Wordful Wednesday - A Wordful about Poverty



These two children pictured from Halloween past did not live in poverty. They were well fed and clothed. They learned to read and excelled in school. They celebrated special holidays with their family and they were taught to love others and treat people equally.

Today is Blog Action Day 2008 and the subject is Poverty. People from around the world will be blogging today about Poverty.
We know about Poverty....
We know about:
  • Starving children in countries around the world.
  • Mission trips to countries to "serve the poor".
  • Food banks, free lunch programs, and Meals On Wheels.
  • Unaffordable prescription medication or health care.

Yes, we know about Poverty.
We know about the poor.

I thought I did, until I joined a local board that supports Birth to Six programs in our county. Here is what I found out about our small Oklahoma town and county.
  • The poverty rate is 14%.
  • 63% of our public school children qualify for free or reduced lunch.
  • 42% of the 1st-3rd graders need reading remediation.
  • 27% of our households are single parent households.
  • Only 65% of parents attended parent/teacher conferences.
  • Our county ranked 52 of 77 for violent crime arrests for teens.
  • Our county ranked 46 of 77 for infant mortality.
  • Our county ranked 52 of 77 for untreated mental illness and substance abuse.

So what does this kind of poverty look like?

Poverty of wealth or spirit.

Perhaps....


  • A child whose only meal each day is the one at school.
  • A child who is alone because his single parent works two jobs.
  • A child who is not read to.
  • A child whose parent does not know her teacher.
  • A child who has at least one parent or sibling in prison.
  • A child who experiences the death of a brother or sister.
  • A child who lives with a parent who cannot get treatment for substance abuse.
  • A child who lives in foster care due to abuse and neglect.

Poverty is A CHILD without the opportunity for an abundant life.

What does poverty look like in your community?

Join Angie and friends for Wordful Wednesday at Seven Clown Circus.

Wednesday is my husband's surgery so it may take me some time to get to each of your posts. My friend Caroline from "The Zen In You" has a new Zen Prayer blog. Anyone can go to that site and post any prayer requests. She is posting a special prayer for my husband today. Thank you Caroline!!!
Also, if you didn't make it here on Tuesday, I have a guest post on Tuesday Tales Book Review!

32 comments:

  1. I will be praying for your husband tomorrow - definitely not a fun thing to face. I looked back through your posts - you use the word "levity" a lot - I like it - it fits - its whats needed no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an eye-opener. We all know poverty like that exists, but I don't think any of us really realize that it's so prevalent, and our kids could be sitting beside a child at school who lives that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great photos - lovely words - sad but true. Only getting worse I think

    Best wishes to your hubs - and many prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We live in an area where the kind of poverty we think about isn't very common. But kids dealing with any of the other kinds of poverty you spoke about could easily be my kids' classmates of friends. What an eye opener.

    Thanks ATV. YOu always help me put things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and my very best to your husband. We'll all be thinking of him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what about mental poverty?
    ones who don't have empathy to others?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! That is really powerful. I used to work in early intervention for a bit...I went to people's houses...it was an eye opener to say the least. I am grateful for this life I live every day!

    I will pray for your husband. I will also pray for peace for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I said a little pray for your husband..

    I bet our poverty rating is about the same.. There is about 25,000 people in my town..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. A very powerful post! We can get so caught up in our own lives that we need that reminder every now and then.

    Thank you!

    And good luck with the surgery tomorrow. I hope all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful post. Thank you for the reminder of what poverty really is.

    Praying for you hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  11. shocking statistics. shocking!

    i don't know what poverty looks like in my area, but you can better believe i am going to find out and see what i can do to help.

    seriously, shocking!!

    i will send up prayers for your hubs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for commenting in my blog while I was away.

    Very unique viewpoint on poverty. Hope your husband recovers fast.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope your husband recovers quickly and you will have peace! Great post and thank you for directing me to the topic!
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Praying for your husband.....and your family.

    I *hope* poverty doesn't look like that in my community. What stark, sad facts......sort of a wake me up, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. We will be praying for your husband.

    Poverty is very prevalent where I am. People know it and see it very often. I have a feeling our stats are even worse then yours.

    My Sister-in-law is in this boat in many ways, although her girls are doing well.

    I will keep you updated on the niece too. Should know more, maybe...today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post and insight
    yes sometimes people are poor in other ways besides money -

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your post always has me thinking...I know children from the list you made up, it breaks my heart.

    My prayers are with you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great points. I sometimes feel like poverty only really exists outside of US borders, but there are people suffering here too.

    http://www.MomMostTraveled.com

    http://mygreening.com

    (my blogs)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is SO sad especially when you break it down into what poverty may look like. Prayers to your hubby!!!!!!!! I will say one tonight!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post! Poverty has many faces and you did an excellent job making people aware.

    ReplyDelete
  21. thank you for the gentle reminder. sometimes it needs to be spelled out for us, huh?

    good luck to your husband! keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for mentioning this cause. We can all make a difference through our prayers, blogs and financial support.

    I'll be praying for your husband and you. I pray that everything goes smoothly and that you will have no worries through the time there and after. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well put. This is an issue where we can all make a difference. How did you find out about the board you are on? How do you help? I would really be interested in looking in to something like this in my area.

    You & your husband will be in my prayers. I am sure everything will go well and I will think good thoughts for you. Sending {HUGS} your way,

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great post!
    Those statistics are so alarming and to think about what it actually means in the life of a small child makes them even worse. My first two years of teaching were in a school with 99% of the students on free lunch. I had 2% of the parents attend conferences. I had children with both parents in jail, both parents dealing drugs, no ability to read in the fifth grade, no help at home, no one at home, and danger all around them. School was their safe place. School was their heaven!
    Thanks for reminding me of those kids and that there are so many like them in our country.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Praying for you and your husband tonight. You have an abundance of friends.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I sponsor a little girl in Guatemala through Compassion International. I just got Compassion's quarterly magazine and it was heart breaking to read about the global food crisis going on. It's really hard to starve to death in the US - there are so many agencies to help. There really are people dying in the world because there is no food. It's so unbelieveable...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, I hope everything went well today!

    Lots of food for thought in your post on poverty. Some of my kids attend inner-city schools and it really is amazing to think that many of their classmates are in the situations you describe. I think the saddest are the ones starving for love, attention, and guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just saw your post and want you to know that I'm praying for a speedy recovery for your hubby and that everything went well yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Interesting AVT. I was talking to Peg about Rubye Payne's Frameworks of Poverty and thought about writing about some of these other forms of poverty, but I think you said it well. I couldn't have said it better.

    On another note. I am glad the surgery went smoothly and the labwork was good too. Good news is always great for the spirit.

    Best wishes,
    Annemarie (mcmgrad89)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your posts are always inspiring AVT.
    Poverty has so many faces in many different areas.
    Thank you for bringing the ones we don't normally associate with Poverty to our attention.

    Fantastic news about your husband, looks like all the prayers worked.

    Take care always
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great poverty post; thank for that. I've linked to it on Okahoma Women's Network here http://oklahomawomen.blogspot.com/2008/10/avt-coach-blogs-on-poverty-in-rural.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. I found the statistics for the poverty rates where I live to be surprising and very sad..This is a very good post...

    ReplyDelete

I am abundantly grateful for your comments!