
Synopsis from book cover:
"Mackenzie Allen Philips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later, in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to the shack for a weekend.Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever.In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant The Shack wrestles with the timeless question, "Where is God in a world filled with unspeakable pain?" The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him. You'll want everyone to read this book!"
Ronda Shares this:
"The author wrote this story as a way of expressing his faith to his family of about 15 members but mostly for his children.The themes of forgiveness, God's love, The Trinity, and God's judgment are all explored."
She posed these questions for today:
Do you think you have to be Christian to enjoy or understand this book?
Do you like or dislike how the Trinity is portrayed in the book?
Does the book portray a realistic viewpoint of Mack's struggle with forgiveness?
How do you view heaven in comparison with the author's book portrayal?
Have you had a period of Great Sadness?
Ronda mentioned in her post that the story is not unlike a parable and I agree. It is simply an avenue for this author to express his own paradigm of God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. It is his statement of belief. There are so many important concepts in this book that it warrants a second and third reading. I marked my book up so that I could go back and read some parts again.
I was at first uncomfortable with his portrayal of the Trinity. I understand the Trinity for myself but the assigned characters in the book were outside of my paradigm. However, as I came to understand the significance of the writers choice of their characterization I understood and although it maybe not be exactly what I would adopt for myself, he did find a clever way to explain a very abstract concept.
I wouldn't say that this book is changing my "whole" life. The concepts I do believe in. However, I do have to spend some time thinking about my own response to my "religion". Here is what I will be wrestling with...How does my own belief about the authority of God fit into this story. How is my concept of order, rules and expectations and responsibilities influencing my judgment of others and my concept of God's judgment? Can I embrace the author's explanation of this and how would I "act" differently? How do I embody the concept of true love for all and be in intentional relationship with others? Do I on a daily basis really "invite" God as the Trinity into my life "like the wind" flowing in, around and through it? Do I accept the love of God as explained in the book whether for myself or others? Do I accept this author's paradigm of forgiveness?
As you read this book you too will find concepts that challenge not just your belief but how you act on that belief. I had to smile at myself when the very words of the book jumped out at me and still do as my own response is "So what do I DO now?". I'm still about the doing. Yet read and see for yourself what the author says about this!
These are powerful concepts and I don't think with my analytical mind I am ready to answer them all at once. But this book should definitely be read by anyone who has ever had questions about God and their own Christian priniciples and how they are applied. Not a heavy read, it actually can be read quickly...but have your highlighter ready because you won't be able to ponder it all in one sitting.
Abundance is ....a story to challenge our thinking.
Very well said. I struggled with parts also. Overall, it was a good book though, and one that I would recommend to others.
ReplyDeleteVery well said indeed...I am just pondering the thought ...So okay what do you believe? I am left with more questions for myself...his portrayal of the Trinity has been eye opening for me! I do feel challenged!
ReplyDeleteGreat post!!!
Any ideas for November?
I read The Shack this summer and loved it. I would like to read it again soon, because I think I will be challenged even more and really be able to process more of the content on a second read.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a book I am meant to read right now. I'll have to see if it is on paperbackswap.com right now.
ReplyDeleteThanks again for stopping by my blog your encouragement means a lot to me.
I find this Bloggy Book Club quite interesting...if I was not in two book clubs already I think I would give it a try. I am looking forward to seeing more book's brought up, I always enjoy learning about a new book or a good book recommendation!
ReplyDeleteIf you like Christian books, have you read The Hiding Place? FABULOUS! That book did make me want to be a better person.
And not so much a Christian book but a very clean and GREAT book I read earlier this year, These Is My Words, I LOVED THIS BOOK!
If you've read these you will have to let me know what you thought.
I am working on a top 10 books I have read this year, but the problem is I have only read a few good books this year! Well, I guess the year is not up so I will keep working on it!
I really LOVED this book. I loved that it challenged my thinking in some ways, and underscored my beliefs in other ways.
ReplyDeleteI agree the Trinity was not as I pictured it, but I thought it was a great way of getting Mack outside of idea he already had in his head. I loved that even though it was strange. I loved Sarayu...I love thinking of the Holy Spirit in that way!
I was challenged on the whole good vs. evil conversation. It was so true, yet sometimes hard to wrap our brains around that concept. Could good really be evil and evil really be good????
Lastly, I loved the way the comparison was made to God loving all his children the way that we love ours. He could no easier stop loving us, than we could our own children. How can we judge others once we see things through that perspective??? It really isn't up to us, is it?
Great post! Can't wait to see what you pick next. I love book clubs!
Nice post - sounds like a very interesting read - great insight
ReplyDeleteFunny, I just read this book today. Although I can't say that it has changed my life, I can say that it made me think about my life and my relationship with God. I liked the comparison of our love for our children and His love for us. I can understand better how He would never quit loving any of His children in spite of their actions. It also made me think about my need to put ALL of my trust and faith in Him. I tend to be a worrier of things past, present, and future! I need to trust Him with my present and future, and leave the past where it is.
ReplyDeleteI liked his description of heaven, which is actually quite similar to Akiane's vision of the amazing colors that we cannot even imagine here on earth.
I'm going to give the book another visit.... I put post-it notes on many of the pages and would like to revisit those ideas.
Roban
It sounds like a very interesting read! Thank you for suggesting this book!!
ReplyDeleteI am still in the middle of the book, stuck kind of. Smack dab in the middle and it has to do with the Trinity. I have to read certain parts over and over.
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting my blog!! Great post about "The Shack." I'm right in the middle of reading it right now. You're right, I definitely need a highlighter.
ReplyDeleteI love some of the analogies it brought up and some new ways I will think about God thanks to this book. Plus, it takes place so close to where I live, that there is a eerie feeling to it.
ReplyDelete