Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek
Last May my husband and I took our first vacation as "empty nesters". We spent 10 wonderful days in Wyoming and Colorado. One of our "rest stops" was the Manitou Springs Zoo. This is an amazing zoo with a plethora of different types of animals that are not typical for a zoo. The layout is nice and the animals are "up close and personal". My favorite animal is the giraffe so you can imagine my surprise when I saw this animal. It is an Okapi (O-KAH-pee) from the rain forests of central Africa.
This is a fun one to show children and have them guess what they think it is! This makes for great conversation!

This is the sign at the exhibit.
Deer legs, Zebra stripes, Giraffe head!! Definitely an animal with SPARE PARTS!!!
Abundance is...a couple only vacation and celebrating differences in God's creatures.
Did they have a platypus too? Talk about covering all your bases. Nice to see you as a regular contributor to PSF. That picture on your header is stunning! Did you take that too?
ReplyDeleteWow, that's a mishmash of an animal, huh?
ReplyDeleteStrangely enough I knew what that was...I must have learned about it on Go, Diego, Go!
I wish Diego really would go...;)
definitely beautiful!
ReplyDeleteThe fur looks so soft!
aww - I forgot what a couple vacation is!
Soooo, that is one of the weirdest animals I have EVER seen. Chris is right...between that and the platypus...FUNKY.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a fantastic vacation!!
That just might be the coolest animal I've EVER seen! That's so weird...and so cool!
ReplyDeleteAmazing! How cool you got to see it up close and personal!
ReplyDeletewow...those are cool animal :D
ReplyDeleteMine : in HERE. Hope you have time to visit also. Thanks
WOW! I have never seen an animal like that! thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHappy PSF!
Wow! I have definitely never seen one of those! That is totally the coolest animal I have ever seen!
ReplyDeleteI love Manitou Springs!
ReplyDeleteWOW! I love that animal. It reminds me of what I see when I look in the mirror-model legs, hippo belly, olive skin, pumpkin head:) J/K It really is a cool animal though.
ReplyDeleteGreat job looking at the abundance even though your nest is empty!
What an interesting animal. I have never heard of it before. So unusual and yet beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing part of your vacation with us.
Wow! I've never seen anything like that. My kiddos are peering over my shoulder with oohs and ahhs!
ReplyDeleteI recently saw one of these at our zoo. They're beautiful. It does seem like God said, "hey, i've got all these parts left over, let's put them together and see what we've got." lol!
ReplyDeleteHaha, I always thought, too, that God must've had a bunch of extra parts lyin' around after creation and thought, "What the heck, let's just make one more animal with these. It'll REALLY give the humans something to think about!!"
ReplyDeleteHave you read the Poisonwood Bible? Isn't the Okapi the animal the mother saw?
ReplyDeleteI don't think I ever saw this one before!?
ReplyDeleteWow! Cool photo and interesting story there!
That is like seeing 4 or 5 different animals all in one!
ReplyDeleteAs for the vacation, yaaaaaaaay! Hope you have lots and lots of fun!
=0D
Great photos!!
ReplyDeleteMy kids would get a kick out of seeing that collage of an animal!!
Thanks for stopping by, Elle told me she had written to you about my posts and the Tuesday Tales... I would love to join in sometime!!
Great idea!
That is SO COOL!!! I'll have to try remember to bring this back up on the computer after my kids get home from school. They love animals and are always sooo intrigued with anything more on the unusual side! (as you read on my post about my animal-lover-extreme...the one who bought a bird) We don't have t.v. but have invested in a small library of dvd's, mostly National Geographical-type about animals from all around the world. Great blog!!!
ReplyDeleteThat is one cool animal!
ReplyDeleteThat animal is CRAZY -- I'm always fascinated by it at our zoo!!
ReplyDeleteMy PSF is finally up!
They are so neat. We saw one of them at I believe the Philadelphia Zoo.
ReplyDeleteWhen my oldest daughter was little the Okapi was her most favorite animal in the zoo. It may still be.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the kind words you left on my blog!
Now THAT is just so amazing and interesting to me. I love how nature keeps us guessing like this. AWESOME shot!
ReplyDeleteI love that odd animal - so cool!
ReplyDeleteHave a good weekend - Kellan
Thanks for stopping my! I plan on comming here often! GREAT pictures! love them!
ReplyDeletewhat an interesting creature. wow. thanks so much for stopping by. I do like posting my prayers but I also want to know how I can pray for others. If you have any prayer requests, let me know.
ReplyDeleteOkay, you're not going to believe this...at least I didn't - I took the kids to Michael's tonight (they are young enough to think that's fun) and we were looking at the little real-looking play animals and what did I see?? Non other than a Okapi! How strange is that?
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting creature!
ReplyDeletePS, yes, I am an "uprooted Sooner" I graduated from OU in the early 90's. A military man dragged me kicking and screaming the whole way!
strange animal!
ReplyDeleteInteresting. I read Angie's comment and I just started Poisonwood Bible, now I have a visual!
ReplyDeleteCheck back at my blog tomorrow as I tagged you! :-)
Darling little creature. Look at that cute face! He's got a great self-image, spoting that smile for you as you snap away. : )
ReplyDeletewhen i see things in nature like that i always, "Noone paints like God."
ReplyDeleteHow cute! I love the legs!
ReplyDeleteWe saw one of these guys at a zoo one time too. I just kept staring. I thought it was truly fascinating! So glad you took a picture to share.
ReplyDeleteWhat a funny guy - my daughter liked looking at this pic
ReplyDelete