Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek
I do love music. I have liked many types of music. I played the clarinet, I was in school and church choir, and I listened to my "record player" for hours on end. I listened to the top 40, did not miss Casey Kasem's Countdown every week, and I liked rock and pop mostly with a little country thrown in.
I have never experienced of a whole other genre of music like I have since moving to the central part of Oklahoma two years ago. In this part of the world we host the Oklahoma International Bluegrass Festival. Bluegrass itself is not defined by one kind of speed or intensity. There is a range of music that qualifies. Last weekend we attended the festival and heard musicians from Ireland, Italy, Canada and across the U.S.A.
This kind of music requires amazing musical ability. The picture I took at the festival this year is of Byron Berline (middle) who is famous in Bluegrass circles and resides here in Oklahoma. If you have not experienced this type of music in a while or ever you might consider taking some time and visiting the website of the bands listed below. On each website there is a sample of their music or a music video so you can listen to the different types of music. Enjoy!

"Abundance is ... listening to good music out on the lawn".
COMMENT TO SUPPORT CHILDHOOD CANCER!
I am working to help raise money for the Leukemia Society. My blogger friend JenX67 will give a dollar for every comment posted to this week's Tuesday Tales post. Please to click on the Tuesday Tales button below, scroll to the bottom of the post to read the paragraph about Mitchell Whitaker and leave a comment. A comment is the least we can do to raise money for this worthy cause!!!
What a great post. I always loved Casey too. Music is so important.
ReplyDeleteI love Bluegrass...especially when it's played outside. And you're right, it DOES take some amazing musical talent to play it and play it right.
ReplyDeleteGreat PSF!
Oh, I love bluegrass too. Having said that, I don't hear enough of it - especially LIVE - very cool.
ReplyDeleteHey there! What's a record player? Just kidding.
ReplyDeleteBluegrass is a lot of fun. If you get a chance, go to itunes and check out Ryan Shupe and the Rubber Band. They call themselves "Post hee haw funkadelic newgrass." They're a lot of fun!
Bluegrass.....ah. How lovely and...not relaxing exactly, but like a breath of fresh air, if played well. Sounds like a terrific time!
ReplyDeleteI was getting ready to ask what a record player was too but I see Chris beat me to the joke! :-)
ReplyDeleteI loved listening to Casey Kasem SP? too! Loved it! I remember loving the stories he would throw in between the songs, a little history about the artist, I was hooked!
I love Bluegrass.
ReplyDeleteI love Allison Kraus..
and The Issacs...
I also love Casey Kasem.. I loved when he read the letters and sent people free t-shirts..
oh man i remember TAPE recording Casey's countdown on new years eve.
ReplyDeleteha ha- Every Sunday night I listened to Casey!! We always had it on at the grocery store where I was a checker in high school!
ReplyDeleteLovely post!
Nothing better than listening to great tunes on a carpet of grass.
ReplyDeleteI love music festivals. It sounded like you had fun! Do you still pick up the clarinet once in a while? The clarinet is fun!
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking live is the way to go with bluegrass.
ReplyDeleteI second Chris's suggestion: Check out Ryan Shupe and the Rubberband. They are awesome!!
ReplyDeleteI grew up loving Bluegrass and country and still do!
ReplyDeleteHave a good Friday - Kellan
I agree -- Bluegrass is fun and DEFINITELY a testament to musical ability/skill.
ReplyDeleteMy Photo Story Friday
Sounds like a wonderful outing!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for casting the net wider in regard to awareness about Mitchell. You are so caring!!
ReplyDeleteDid I miss the bluegrass festival???
My Hubby likes bluegrass more than I do however I like it as well! He loves to go and sit and listen to good music outdoors! I like Jazz and he is not so much a fan of that!
ReplyDeleteNice capture and a wonderful PSF. I'm not familiar with this type of music but I will have to check it out.
ReplyDeleteI love music, too. Great post. :)
ReplyDeleteMusic has always been a big part of my life too. I loved me some Casey Kasem.
ReplyDeleteOkay I must have missed this Tuesday Tales so I'm on my way.
We actually just started listening to bluegrass not too long ago, thanks to my husband, and I actually kind of enjoyed it! :)
ReplyDeleteGotta love Casey Kasem. :) I have fond memories listening to the weekend countdown. And I too played the clarinet.
ReplyDeleteOff to comment on Tuesday Tales. Great cause!
Here we go again! I listened to records and the radio for hours, too... I guess a lot of us did! And my radio was always tuned to Casey Kasem on the weekend.
ReplyDeleteI love all of the features you include in your blog! You blog me away with your creativity!
Have a great weekend!
Roban
My mom loves bluegrass music and when my son was a baby she played some in the car one day and his demeanor completely changed. I now sometimes put the Bluegrass Music channel on the TV and he dances around. The boy definitely has something for bluegrass!
ReplyDeleteCasey brought back many fond memories!
ReplyDeleteBut the thing that brought it home was Edgar Cruz! He came to my school after I recruited him for our Artist in Residence program! I love him and his music so much. .....and his parents restrauant in Brick Town is awesome!!
I never missed Casey either. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a great way to raise some money for cancer. :)
Abundance is...learning about a new kind of music. Hmm, I'll have to check it out!
ReplyDelete