Monday, October 27, 2008

Tuesday Tales: Fright Night Flight


Well, it's the week of Halloween and I could not resist giving you a true Halloween themed selection. This is a light hearted take on the nighttime carousing of a number of our favorite Halloween characters. Although an older book (2002) we recently purchased it in paperback version from Scholastic Books. I do know that many parents choose to keep a more "Harvest Night " theme for their younger children. However, I feel that children 5 and above have much to gain by at least learning the vocabulary of a traditional Halloween theme. Just like you don't really have to eat broccoli to know the name of it, you don't really have to use Halloween vocabulary intimately to understand it and be able to hang with your friends as you participate in secular events. So, I have chosen this fun book for its rich language.






Here is what the School Library Journal says about Fright Night Flight by Laura Melmed.


"It's time for a witch's Fright Night Flight. "With hat and cat, away I zoom/upon my super jet-fueled broom." The first stop is a spooky castle with a creaky floor inhabited by a "lurking, smirking Vampire" who joins the party. They fly off to a number of places-the cemetery, the "House of Dread," and elsewhere-picking up other spooky characters along the way. When the frightful creatures reach their destination, they warn readers that they'll soon end up at "-your house (we know the street) and- ring- your- doorbell- TRICK OR TREAT!" The rhyming text is full of fun. The full-spread illustrations are rich with color and amusing detail, and the characters are drawn in a nonthreatening cartoon style that will not scare young children. A fine choice for Halloween storytimes.
Melinda Piehler, North Tonawanda Public Library, NY
Copyright 2002 Cahners Business Information, Inc.



Descriptive Vocabulary
I read this book this week to one of my first grade clients. We focused on descriptive words such as lurking, smirking, howling, growling. These types of descriptors show up in all types of literature and are critical for use in creative writing assignments throughout the school years. We do not talk like this in everyday conversation so we need to consider reading books with this rich language.



Rhyming Words
Kindergarten through 2nd or 3rd graders need to understand rhyming. I read each phrase and left off the end word. The child was encouraged to think about the meaning and find an appropriate rhyming word that fit. We then generated other rhyming words with that pattern.



Synonyms:
Children with rich vocabulary understand that there is more than one way to talk about the same concept. This book offers a perfect opportunity to talk about synonyms.
Ex: Fright, Frightened, Scared, Terrified, Alarmed, Worried, Anxious, Upset, Panicky
Merry, Happy, Elated, Joyful, Glad, Blissful, Pleased
Lurk, Prowl, Loiter, Hang About, Skulk, Wait, Creep Around
Smirk, Grin, Leer, Sneer
Growl, Snarl, Rumble, Bark, Roar
Howl, Bay, Cry, Wail, Scream, Shriek, Bawl, Holler


It is kind of fun to begin to use these new words in regular conversation. It might just diffuse a tantrum to start talking about the howling and wailing!



Imagination:
I spent alot of time talking about how these characters are imaginary. I use other characters as a reference such as Mickey Mouse, Spiderman, and Sponge Bob. It is also fun to talk about how the illustrator drew very interesting characteristics. (Green skin, large nose, black cape, large teeth, hairy body, huge head). Little artists might have fun trying to draw these characters or to start with a basic body then add interesting body parts of their own.



I also like that the witch used her imagination and developed a motorized broom. We talked about the engine and the steering wheel and discussed other Vehicles that are similar.



In the end, the characters end up on the doorstep of some real little children in costumes matching the characters. Take this opportunity to talk about the costumes they have seen and maybe even get out the newspaper ads for costume sales. You can also find costume images online and talk about the different aspects of each. For example, what would a dinosaur costume have to look like, or what would a princess wear.



I have posted with the book title a link to Amazon since this book might be hard to find. If you don't find this book please consider the language concepts above and incorporate them in any of the books you read to your children.

I hope your family has a fun and safe Halloween!
Abundance is...a costume that let's you be someone else for one night and getting lots of candy!


Just for fun! One of my favorite Halloweens was an adult costume party/dance when I was in my 20's. We already had our children and cherished getting away for some adult time. Please note the bottle in the photo was the prop for the "bum" next to me!! My husband is the "Where's Waldo" character in the back. He actually wore it to the elementary school for my daughter's Halloween party! I am the "baby doll" on the front. Oh to have that body again!


13 comments:

  1. Cute post - looks like a fun book - I like your suggestions for synonyms and imagination.
    great tips

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why couldn't I have had you for one of my teachers? You really know how to bring life to learning and to make it fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great synonym examples!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My teachers weren't that exciting either! Very interesting post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just bought that book yesterday! Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! How lucky am I to be able to still get therapy from you...I will be using this one with Miss M.
    For halloween, Malia plans on being a 1950's soda sweetie...I've got her going around the house practicing "Hi there Dollface, what can I getcha?" "Will it be rocky road or chocolate chip?"...ADORABLE! I will be posting pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That picture totally made me laugh. Love love love me some vintage pics....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute post... just in time for the halloween festivities.

    I really like all the rich vocabulary.

    Great photo!!

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pop on over when you have a chance - I've given you a blog award...much love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like such a fun Halloween party! Love the photo. AND, thank you for the book review. I absolutely love yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Halloween photo is hilarious! I am going to the library tomorrow and hope I can find that book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too fun! I absolutely love rhyming books.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've got a five year old, who is all about words and books right now. This looks like a great selection. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

I am abundantly grateful for your comments!